Turn your PC into a CB!

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by AB3RI, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AB3RI

AB3RI Ham Member

I'm not sure how often you scroll down to the bottom of the page here on QRZ but I just saw something I couldn't believe. Now, I understand how 'Ads by Google' work, but I guess the advertiser shown has sunk to a whole new level. Either that, or they can't distinguish between amateur radio and CB.

[​IMG]

I just went to Hamsphere and I can't find any reference to CB.

I was hesitant to post this, but thought I'd share the humor. :rolleyes:

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

I use the Firefox ad block plug in so I don't see the ads, but when I did I was amazed at what I would see there from time to time.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

The things I miss by being a subscriber. :)

4. AB3RI

AB3RI Ham Member

I actually like the ads, and I even click on them from time to time when something strikes me. Even when I was a subscriber, I had the ads enabled.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member

From the ad, I'm guessing that Hamsphere has found a whole new demographic. It looks like they cut that virtual blue wire to "open up" the virtual radio to virtually transmit on virtual 11 meters.

Strangely enough, this actually makes a lot of sense. When the novelty of pretending to use the radio wears off, I suppose it might actually add a little bit of excitement if you can also pretend that you're breaking the law.

6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber

11 meter Echolink!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Why not?
    Just as illegal as the other stuff that goes on there.

8. KE5YXD

KE5YXD Ham Member

Not to be "that guy", but I guess I am. Would it be illegal to run an echolink-like network on 11 meter? I would guess so, since there aren't even 11 meter repeaters in the US.

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

You cannot run any emission other than AM and SSB, all other emissions are illegal on the US Class D CB band.

10. KD8HLY

KD8HLY Ham Member

Wow ! that's pretty "cool" good buddy ! I wonder if they have "virtual"

linyears on em? I could get into my neighbors TV with my computer!

73 KD8HLY George

11. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member

You don't have to network into Echolink via a repeater. It could be a "simplex node".

I am NOT "up" on the rules governing CB usage, not at all. I do know that it is only legal to transmit voice on the "40 channels" provided...either AM or SSB. Echolink is typically accessed via DTMF tones when using an RF link (repeater or simplex) to access the network (not true of course with a computer).

I would think that AM and SSB might be a little noisy for Echolink and zero beating would be a MUST to have proper DTMF operation.

But that is the technical side. Would it be illegal? I'm not really sure that it would be, as long as the station proper were legal power, legal antenna, and legal operation. I dunno, is there something in the rules that makes accessing a CB remotely illegal? That would be the question.

But ultimately, WHY? Isn't the object of them thar CBers to shoot that thar skip? And wuddunt ya want a big ole leeenyar for that? I don't think publically advertising an illegal CB set-up on the internet would be a good idea :) and I doubt a "legal" station would get much use. :rolleyes:

12. KE5YXD

KE5YXD Ham Member

I think lot in theories, and this was just another one of those theories. I wasn't talking of echolink in the strict sense of the term. I was thinking more along the lines of a wireline link between different geographical regions that was operational 24/7, with no real need for DTMF controls. I could see it being possible using a radio interface to a computer for T/R operations using Asterisk (a VOIP gateway) and the radio interface module of it to route audio. From what I understand, it's possible to use virtually the same setup to connect to the real Echolink network, though I've never tried it. The practicality for such a thing? Probably not much, but it could enable non-ham operators to connect over a longer distance. Deploy a group of these link nodes in strategic places and regional or nationwide communications could be achieved with legal-powered cbs.

13. AG3Y

AG3Y Ham Member

Depends on what countries you happen to be in. I have seen SSTV pictures on the internet, received and transmitted by CBers on 11 meters, and then uploaded to servers that support the programs to display these pictures ( such as Digi-Sites )

Maybe some of those 11 meter pictures come from U.S. hobbiests! If you break one law, you might as well break another.

14. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member

"§ 95.419 (CB Rule 19) May I operate my
    CB station transmitter by remote
    control?
    (a) You may not operate a CB station
    transmitter by radio remote control.
    (b) You may operate a CB transmitter
    by wireline remote control if
    you obtain specific approval in writing
    from the FCC. To obtain FCC approval,
    you must show why you need to operate
    your station by wireline remote
    control. If you receive FCC approval,
    you must keep the approval as part of
    your station records. See CB Rule 27,
    § 95.427.
    (c) Remote control means operation
    of a CB transmitter from any place
    other than the location of the CB
    transmitter. Direct mechanical control
    or direct electrical control by wire
    from some point on the same premises,
    craft or vehicle as the CB transmitter
    is not considered remote control."

15. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member

So, there you go. It is POSSIBLY legal to do so, as long as it is by FCC approval, via a written letter stating your need to do so and having that authority granted.

Good luck with that! :D

But even still, hypothetically speaking of course, if the FCC DID somehow see a reason to grant such a thing (pigs with wings anyone?) ...I can't for the life of me see how this would be of interest to the average CBer.

The average CBer is a mobile operator, with a good number of "base station" operators. Most active CBers I imagine are using equipment of questionable origins and design (import, power, out-of-band etc) ESPECIALLY the guys with "base stations". The guy with an old 23 channel Midland in his pickup just for talking to his neighbors is a rarity except possibly "ranch land" in states like Texas. The caveat of getting FCC permission would require a fully legal station, which would be "boring" to most CBers (I would imagine)...and the old rancher in Texas wouldn't be at all interested in internet linking. I doubt he even carries a cell phone.

SO the question comes to mind, what is the point? The only useful purpose I could hypothetically see would be two friends or family members located a great distance apart (where normal CB use would be impossible most of the time and illegal the rest of the time)...Well, it might be useful to have a wire link at each "base station" to connect them, like a long distance repeater. It might be useful for them to maintain contact while mobile.

OK, so I wasted 5 minutes of my life talking about CB remote linking. :eek:

16. K1DNR

K1DNR XML Subscriber

They'll pry my Google Ads from my Cold Dead Hands :D

Catch ya on the flip flop good buddy WOOT WOOT!

[​IMG]

17. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member

i found this site http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oG7lyT....7670547/**http://www.livecbradio.com/talk.htm

by their legal disclaimer at the bottom of the page, the FCC isn't very concerned about the regulations you cite:confused:

18. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member

They also say that the TX is never active unless there is a control op present. When one is not present, the TX is not active.

So, this would not fall under "remote control" anyway, since it is being locally controlled by a person.

Joe

19. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member

The link there is only active when the actual human is present. The FCC has inspected his transmission site, and found it to be completely within the regs.

Go ahead and email him. He's a real nice guy, knowledgeable, and really interested in radio. He is not one of the scofflaws of CB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.