ad: ARR

Turkey Day Revolt!!!

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by N2EY, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member

There is a trend among retailers now to be open on Thanksgiving Day in order to get a jump on the holiday spending season.

Personally I think that's just plain wrong. It's one thing for food stores, gas stations and drug stores to be open on a holiday, but turning it into a shop-till-you-drop day is not the way I want to live.

What do others think?

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Consumerism has been the big distraction from our civic duties, God and patriotism.

3. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member

Amazon is open 7x24x365.

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

And you don't have to get dressed to shop.

5. KD8PFB

KD8PFB XML Subscriber

Kind of takes away from Black Friday, doesn't it? As always, we will be spending the day with family and friends giving thanks for all the Lord has blessed us with. Y'all can go shopping if you like. Retail workers will be overjoyed that they have to work while their family and friends give thanks. Maybe the godless can all volunteer to work.

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber

Where do people find time to shop on T-Day? You're supposed to spend time with family and/or friends and help out with the preparation of the meal, enjoy the viddles (20 minutes tops at our place--we eat fast), help clean up, then sit comatose or fall asleep in front of the TV watching a movie because eight gazillion calories--of mostly carbs--has caused your pancreas and liver to practically shut down.

Call me a traditionalist, but people should be allowed to spend time with friends and family that day and not have to work (unless they volunteer to).

By the way, Amazon has just raised its minimum order total from $25 to $35 to qualify for free shipping.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber

Maybe a little shopping / walking will help burn off some of those gazillion calories. It may not be such a bad thing after all. I feel for those that have to work if they don't want to. However, there is no shortage of people that may not mind (it's not a religious holiday anyway).

8. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber

If they want to shop, let 'em shop. I had my [politically incorrect mode = on]Christmas[politically incorrect mode = off] shopping done in August

9. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member

I knew a fishing bait shop in North Hero, Vermont which was open 364 days a year.

R.I.P. Charlie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.