Tune up of a Kenwood TS-530S

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9IUF, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W9IUF

W9IUF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I am trying to get a TS-530S on the air for the first time. It was given to me in unknown condition and has been on a shelf in the garage for the past 7-8 years.

I haven't used a tube transmitter for many years so I'm as suspect as the radio when there are problems.

I have done the first step of the tuning and have adjusted the bias to 60mA using the control on the back of the rig. In the next step, you set the meter to ALC, put the mode switch to Tune and peak the drive control. My meter doesn't move at all. The SG switch on the back is on and I'm using a dummy load. When I put the meter to HV and press the CW key, it is around 900V (I didn't leave it down for long enough to get an accurate result).

Can anyone think of something that beginners would forget or is a common problem at this point?

I hope this radio works because I'd like to use it for straight key night.

Thanks & 73
  2. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You may need to turn the carrier control a bit, it should be on the same knob set as the mic gain.

73 m/4
  3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would recommend you ask this question on the Yahoo Kenwood Radio Group set up just for this type of radio, the 520 and 820.

4. KB5WX

KB5WX Ham Member QRZ Page

Tuning the TS530s

First off , you have a very good cw rig there if it has the optional cw filter installed . As for tuning , first set your meter switch to rf . The mode switch in cw . Set your carrier control at about the 9 o'clock position . Set the ox switch to on . use your straight key and key the transmitter . Adjust the drive control for maximum output . Then also adjust the plate and load controls for maximum output . You are now tuned . Adjust the carrier level to whatever wattage output you want . For cw on my 530 , I usually only run it at 20 to 30 watts output . Also when you start transmitting into your antenna , you may have to tweak the drive , plate , and load for max output , but that's about all there is to it . Good luck and I hope to work you on Straight Key Night .
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Either you are not getting any drive or you have the meter switch in the wrong place. Do you have the manual? If not I have the manual for the 520S, the tuning procedure is the same.
  6. EI8DRB

EI8DRB Ham Member QRZ Page

The tune up procedure here is clearer than that in the manual. They do pretty much the same thing, but Ken has a knack for better explanation.
  7. AB9LZ

W9IUF, Do not follow this advice, you were doing it the right way per the manual.

73 m/4
  8. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, AB9LZ...

Wanna tell us what's wrong with this method of tuning an '530? :confused:
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. KB5WX

Tuning the TS530s

Also , if you are using the tune mode to tune ( which is fine by the way ) you may have to turn your carrier level up to see deflection on the meter . The meter should still be set on RF . All the tune mode does is reduce the carrier level for a lower output of wattage . Setting the carrier at 9 o'clock and tuning in cw mode does the exact same thing . I have been tuning my 530 this way for yrs and have never had any problems with it at all . I'm also still running my original tubes . So for doing it "wrong" according to Mark , I also must be doing somthing right . Go figure .
  10. AB9LZ

Selecting the tune mode over RF, reduces the power by half, and helps lower the stress on the tubes when things are pretty far out of whack, especially when you are doing the initial ALC peak, and plate dip.

For a newcomer that is going to take a little more time finding the right settings, this is the right way of doing it.

73 m/4
  11. W9IUF

W9IUF Ham Member QRZ Page

My fault

As I thought, it was my fault, not the radio's fault. When I read in the manual that the tune mode provides "a shorted key line for transceiver tuning", I assumed I didn't need to switch into Send mode. Bad assumption. I put it in Send mode and the meter moved.

I followed the rest of the procedures and everything looks OK. I don't have a wattmeter that handles more than 20w so I can't determine the power out, but it seems to be working OK.

If I want to reduce the power output, should I turn the Drive control counter-clockwise? I normally operate QRP so I don't feel the need to use the maximum output power. I can reduce it to extend the life of the tubes.

Hope to work you on Straight Key night.

12. KB5WX

Tuning the TS530s

Don't detune the drive to reduce power . Use the CAR knob on the left side of the VFO . That is the carrier output and turning to the left ( counterclockwise ) will reduce the output power . You also might want to get a wattmeter that will measure more than 20 watts as well . Let me know what frequency you want to use and we can set up a sked for cw or ssb . I know you'll enjoy that 530 . I sure do love mine .
  13. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.