TS-820S Doesn't Power Up

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W5CNW, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
  1. W5CNW

W5CNW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood TS-820S a friend gave me. It appears to be in great shape on the outside, but as soon as I get everything hooked up, I turn it on and nothing happens. Nothing at all. I can't find anything on the inside that is visibly bad, but I'm suspecting the power supply. Is there any easy way to determine what might be wrong with it?

Thanks,
    KF5IYL

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd first check to be sure the line voltage switch (110/220V) on the rear panel is in the correct position (110V) and that the fuse is in place and okay in the fuseholder next to it...

3. W5CNW

The switch is on 110, and the fuse appears to be good.

4. WB2WIK

Do you have the original Kenwood power cord with the jumpers inside the Jones connector?

5. W5CNW

No, but I made one according to the diagram on page 7 of the manual. I've attached a photo of the diagram. Screenshot.png

6. WB2WIK

Yes, I'm familiar with that. Double check to be certain the jumpers and line voltage connections are exactly where they are supposed to be and nothing is accidentally touching terminals 1-2-4-5-11-12. That can really ruin your whole day.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also do not get plug view confused with socket view, on the pin-out.

The 13.8 operation requires the Inverter to be installed.

That radio is easy to repair.

8. W5CNW

I put heat-shrink tubing on 1-2-4-5, and nothing is touching 11 and 12. Now that I've looked at it, I think I might have gotten the plug wired in mirror image. Here's a picture of the back side of the it. Can someone tell if it's right or not? IMG_9939.JPG

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

THAT IS NOT how it is shown on Page 7 (Pictorial) of the TS-820 Manual
    I am assuming the manual is a REAR view pictorial of connector to be wired.

1. Your Photo is rotated 180 degrees (Yaw) from Pictorial (upside-down)?
    In your Photo ... PIN 3 is Lower Right and Pin 10 is Upper Left.

2. FOLLOW the ALIGNMENT of the Blades .... 4 Blades are Horizontal, 8 Blades are Vertical.
    SEE how your wiring is wrong?

3. BEWARE of Wiring by the Numbers -- MANUAL warns of this -- above Pictorial.
    USA and Japanese connector mfg. used DIFFERENT numbering schemes for these Jones connectors in the 1970s!!!
    CONFIRM that the NUMBERING used on your PLUG matches the numbering on the Kenwood REAR Plug.

GET IT RIGHT ! ... Or you will do more damage $$$ to this radio.

w9gb

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  10. W5CNW

I guess I assumed that picture was of the front of the plug, not the back. Do you think it will work if I flip it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.