TS-820S Doesn't Power Up

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W5CNW, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W5CNW

W5CNW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood TS-820S a friend gave me. It appears to be in great shape on the outside, but as soon as I get everything hooked up, I turn it on and nothing happens. Nothing at all. I can't find anything on the inside that is visibly bad, but I'm suspecting the power supply. Is there any easy way to determine what might be wrong with it?

Thanks,
    KF5IYL

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd first check to be sure the line voltage switch (110/220V) on the rear panel is in the correct position (110V) and that the fuse is in place and okay in the fuseholder next to it...

3. W5CNW

The switch is on 110, and the fuse appears to be good.

4. WB2WIK

Do you have the original Kenwood power cord with the jumpers inside the Jones connector?

5. W5CNW

No, but I made one according to the diagram on page 7 of the manual. I've attached a photo of the diagram. Screenshot.png

6. WB2WIK

Yes, I'm familiar with that. Double check to be certain the jumpers and line voltage connections are exactly where they are supposed to be and nothing is accidentally touching terminals 1-2-4-5-11-12. That can really ruin your whole day.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Also do not get plug view confused with socket view, on the pin-out.

The 13.8 operation requires the Inverter to be installed.

That radio is easy to repair.

8. W5CNW

I put heat-shrink tubing on 1-2-4-5, and nothing is touching 11 and 12. Now that I've looked at it, I think I might have gotten the plug wired in mirror image. Here's a picture of the back side of the it. Can someone tell if it's right or not? IMG_9939.JPG

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

THAT IS NOT how it is shown on Page 7 (Pictorial) of the TS-820 Manual
    I am assuming the manual is a REAR view pictorial of connector to be wired.

1. Your Photo is rotated 180 degrees (Yaw) from Pictorial (upside-down)?
    In your Photo ... PIN 3 is Lower Right and Pin 10 is Upper Left.

2. FOLLOW the ALIGNMENT of the Blades .... 4 Blades are Horizontal, 8 Blades are Vertical.
    SEE how your wiring is wrong?

3. BEWARE of Wiring by the Numbers -- MANUAL warns of this -- above Pictorial.
    USA and Japanese connector mfg. used DIFFERENT numbering schemes for these Jones connectors in the 1970s!!!
    CONFIRM that the NUMBERING used on your PLUG matches the numbering on the Kenwood REAR Plug.

GET IT RIGHT ! ... Or you will do more damage $$$ to this radio.

w9gb

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  10. W5CNW

I guess I assumed that picture was of the front of the plug, not the back. Do you think it will work if I flip it?

11. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Cliff ---

Use your EYES and Spatial thinking.

1. DO NOT have radio or cables attached to DC or AC Power Sources.

2. LOOK at these 12-pin Plug and Jack, UNPLUG them .... LOOK at both connectors ...
    NOTE how these can only be insertered ONE WAY, due to Blade Orientations?
    It should be obvious.

3. IF it is not obvious, then you need some ON-SITE Elmer assistance.
    OR purchase this AC power cable from Ken, K4EAA
    http://www.k4eaa.com/parts.htm

==
    Feb. 2011 QRZ -- similar question
    http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-283250.html?

w9gb

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. WB2WIK

If it was wired "mirror image" backwards, it looks to me like several things in the rig would self-destruct, and you'd be placing one side of the 120Vac line directly to the chassis, which is pin #1 of that plug...

13. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the best thing to do would be to stop and buy the cable.
    As a side note; I have not seen one of those connectors that didn't have the pin numbers printed on them.

14. KA9JLM

You were looking at the wrong view.

Change it and it should be OK. Remove and clean the improper jumper connections.

They know people will do that. Do not feel bad, you are not the first. Live and learn.

The worse it may have done was burnt out the inverter, but probably not because only on leg of the DC input was connected to the ac line.

You just got the view backwards, Most good connectors have the pin number on the solder side.

You can make it work.

15. W5CNW

Alright, I'll flip the wiring and update y'all on what happens!

16. KA9JLM

Cool. Never give up !!!

You can do it. Just disconnect every thing but your soldering iron to getter done.

Be very careful playing with electricity.

17. W5CNW

It works!!! :)

Well, the receiver at least. I haven't had much of a chance to test the transmitter yet, but I should be able to do that tomorrow. Any advice?

"Just disconnect every thing but your soldering iron"

Nice quote. . .

-Cliff

18. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If it receives it should transmit.
    Any advice I would offer up would be to follow the tuning instructions.
    It;s not a hard radio to operate you shouldn't have any problems.

19. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, use a dummy load to check out the transmit section. Do not dwell on tuning up the finals. Although the TS-820S uses S2001 or 6146 you can surpass the ratings of the tubes while adjusting for proper output. Tuning should only take a few seconds once you get used to it.
    Have fun
    Gary

20. KA9JLM

Nice Job

Good work Cliff.

That is a lesson well learned. And I would bet you will never make the same mistake again.

Connector Views, Tube sockets, transistors pin-out views can be confusing, Unless the view is stated in the drawing.

I don't know how many things I have smoked by not paying attention. But you can not learn without trying.

I always use a external RF power/swr meter connected to my radios antenna connection.

Then you can use the meter in the radio to adj the Load, Plate and Drive making sure not to exceed other limits while watching RF output at the same time.

A dummy Load is a great tool to practice with, And keeping tuneup time to a minimum will prolong tube life.

You have a very reliable radio and mainly cleaning of the band switch and controls is about all that needs to be done too keep it in good operating shape. Some 820's did have VFO problems, hopefully yours does not.

Good Luck, Enjoy and always be safe playing with electricity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.