ad: dxeng

TS-590

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AA0V, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber

I am seeing what I think is an unusually large number of posts selling the TS-590. Does anyone know what's up with that?

2. W3END

W3END XML Subscriber

Most likely they're planning to purchase the new TS-990 the price has been announced at $7999.00.

3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member

I don't know, but I would love to have one. They are excellent radios. Of course there are 590 haters out there. It's actually comparable to the k3 with better audio....

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

Links please as I see None in recent Swaplist

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

I really don't see it at all - where can I find these cheap TS-590's? I checked the three dealers I most commonly check and there were ZERO there. I looked at the first 100 ads on QTH and of those, there were three 590's - one that is pending sale, one that was listed yesterday, and a third one that someone is selling for parts (don't know why - perhaps they ran it over with their car or it was hit by lightning?). I'd say that there were more of about every rig I can think of than TS-590's. Some people do buy rigs and then decide they just don't like them, and sometimes the performance numbers don't tell the whole story.

I certainly do see some used bargains out there right now. It always happens when I am broke.

6. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

They have been that way since they were first released being sold from a week to 2 months old, I know for a fact that I have saw no less than a 100 of them for sale from the beginning. I think if you look on all the boards today you will find 3 or 4 for sale all very new units. For the amount of those units sold way to many new units back up for sale.

I had mine for 3 weeks before I sold it bad problem with transmitter overshoot to amp. Kenwood still doesn't want to talk about it nor close in IMD problems.

7. N5MOA

N5MOA Subscriber

I was asking the same question the last week or four.

Every one of the (very) few I came across was within $200 of new, and/or already sold, so I gave up and picked up a new one at the local dealer Friday.

8. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member

I'll hang with the TS-570 good rig .

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

OK, I found one used for $1375 which is about what I can get one new with warranty. Where are these blowout prices?

10. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber

[QUOThttp://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?377281-KENWOOD-TS-590-S&highlight=ts-590 E=KJ4VTH;2763116]
    Links please as I see None in recent Swaplist[/QUOTE]

11. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber

You probably have not been looking. I have, and have seen a large number for sale. I said nothing about blowout prices. I just ask a simple question. I thought the 590 was the be all end all for mid range equipment.

12. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

I asked for links and none were provided. So where are these "unusually large number" as you say?
    Searched and find one close to retail. Any better offers that I missed?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  13. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber

Found three on the first page of search. This was a QRZ only search.
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?378375-Kenwood-TS-590-with-VGS-1-Sound-Card&highlight=ts-590
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?377281-KENWOOD-TS-590-S&highlight=ts-590
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?370961-Kenwood-TS-590&highlight=ts-590

14. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

OK, thanks. Two more close to same price.

Not to pick on you, but someone else posting recently how another particular radio seems to be blown out shortly after its introduction. Turns out just a handful and all close to retail.

Considering there are thousands of these rigs out there, it's not really too surprising that a few are on the market. What is surprising (to me) is the asking price. If there were so many radios being dumped because they are no good, why are they going for top dollar?

15. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. If the 590 has sold well, and I suspect it has, you'll inevitably see more of them for resale even though the percentage of 590's being resold is no greater than the percentage of any other rig being resold.

16. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

I sold mine for $1100 shipped and glad to be rid of it. I cruse the forums "every day" starting at 1am you do the same and you will find a deal. Some are just plain stupid to pay $1300 for one used no warranty then shipping when last fall some dealers were selling them for $1395 on a blow out more than one. They had issues from the beginning that Kenwood was aware of and has never addressed nor changed.

17. KF7QOX

KF7QOX Ham Member

I'm about to buy one new next month and I've seen about 98% of the reviews being very positive, with only a few negative experiences mixed in. I'm still not convinced that there is any kind of low SSB power output issue, since only a few people have complained about that, out of hundreds.

What were your specific issues with the TS-590s, if you don't mind passing on your experience? I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

18. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

I see them on QTH a few times a week. Normally listed at around 1200-1300$ and they seem to sell by weeks end. Personally, I can not see sacrificing the warranty for a savings of 200-300$.

19. N5MOA

N5MOA Subscriber

I think that would be more like "out of thousands".

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm

Click on "How Many".

After 4 years, I retired my TS-480 from the desk last week (still using one in the mobile) and picked up a new TS-590. I haven't observed any power output issue, in any mode, in a week + of hard use.

Maybe it will break next week. :rolleyes:

20. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

I don't have a TS-590S, so that's a disclaimer.

However I've worked "many" (dozens) of stations using them, and must say their modulation on SSB nearly always leaves something to be desired, which surprised me since Kenwood rigs generally sounded great. I have no idea what the deal is with the 590S, unless they made it difficult to set up properly...and that could indeed be the issue.

Looking through my logbook data, when I have the oppty to record what the other station is using, I must say I've written down "crappy audio" for a lot of TS-590S users. Not owning one, I'm not sure why that is.

One of my most recent contacts was Don N4TAT in Georgia. His modulation wasn't good, and I noted that. Before that, it was John W7SAG in Idaho. His modulation wasn't good either, and I noted that. The "older" Kenwoods, going back to the old TS-511/520/530/820/830/850/930/940/950 and so forth all sounded terrific, as did the 430/440/450/480 etc. The "problem" I've heard relates squarely to the 590S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.