ad: M2Ant-1

Trying to stay true to Field Day

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jul 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. OH8STN

Hello Operators.
    In todays video we will take a look at my Man Portable Ham Radio Station. This is my entire portable ham radio go kit as used during amateur radio field day 2019. More important than the equipment overview in the video, is the idea of staying true to field day, operating with a "less is more" idea, and remembering the emergency and field communications aspects of field day.
    Enjoy the video
    Julian oh8stn

N4FZ, WA2LXB, K9KQX and 5 others like this.
  3. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, Julian.
    My thoughts on Field Day are much like yours. I think the point of Field Day is lost on many of the operators...but to each their own.
    I am not going to fault anybody or any organization for making their Field Day into a contest with big towers, beams and amplifiers. I am just happy that everybody is getting on the air and participating.

I made a last minute decision to participate in Field Day this year. We had gotten enough rain the night before that I could no long bale hay so I decided to take the weekend off and head for the mountain for an overnight camping trip.
    Since it was Field Day weekend, I took my radio gear along.

I grabbed my "bug out bag" which is packed the minimal gear needed for a QRP field station, taking only my KX3, QRPGuy's tri-band vertical, Shakespeare Wonderpole and 10Ah LiFePo 4 battery....and a microphone. My CW skills are not yet quite where they need to be to be effective enough for FD contacts, but thought I would take a key along anyway....just in case. I left the solar equipment at home so all I had was my 10Ah battery....my goal would need to be accomplished before the battery died, or Field Day ended, which ever came first.

On the 35 mile drive over to the mountain, I thought about what my goal would be for this FD. Digital modes were out since I didn't pack the Pi. 30 meters was off limits since I decided to operate SSB. Everybody seems to be on 40 meters these days....so I decided my goal would be to log 50 contacts on 20 meters SSB using 5 watts of power, then pack up the station.

Once I reached the base of the mountain, I unloaded my ATV from the back of my pickup and loaded up the camping and radio gear and set off for the top of the mountain. After reaching my favorite operating spot, I set up my tarp as an awning with my hammock strung between two pine trees. Next I setup the QRPGuy's tri-band vertical, which is a quarter-wave vertical on 20 meters. Using the back rack on my ATV as an operating platform, I was up and running about 15 minutes after I arrived at the summit.

fd2.jpg fd.jpg fd3.jpg

I operated casually, stopping quite often to play fetch with the dog, take in the scenery and have a late afternoon lunch, which I shared with my puppy.
    By the time the sun went down, I had logged 42 contacts and was rewarded with a beautiful sunset.
    fd4.jpg

I have never operated during a Field Day in which it didn't rain. This year was no exception. I awoke Sunday morning to a light rain.
    fd5.jpg

I packed up my hammock and moved the ATV under the tarp so I would have a dry place to operate since I still had 8 contacts left to reach my goal for the weekend.

fd6.jpg

In just over an hour, I had all 50 QSO's logged.....all 20 meter SSB at 5 watts.

For me, it's not about finishing Field Day with the most points or the most contacts.....it's about setting a goal and trying to reach it by using the least amount of gear possible.

I had a very relaxing day operating from my favorite spot on the ranch. I worked 50 people in 26 different states and two Canadian Provinces. My dog was happy to run around, chase sticks and sleep in the shade under a big pine tree. The weather was perfect for a night in the hammock and accomplished my goal using 5 watts of power from a battery operated station.

VE3EEI, DL6BCX, N4SL and 30 others like this.
  4. OH8STN

Nice Images and story.
    I personally don't mind the big stations, towers, amplifiers, but do wish the intent of field day be kept in mind.

Like you mine was a personal goal. Setting up and operating the field station, using renewable energy to keep it on air, not relying on any mechanized transport, and doing it with zero carbon footprint.
    As I write this, a smile and warm feeling ...

VE3EEI, KF4ZKU, KA4JCD and 2 others like this.
  5. KD5HUS

KD5HUS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done sir. Looks like a exciting time out in the bush. Thank you for sharing.

N4FZ and KF4ZKU like this.
  6. KJ4DGE

KJ4DGE Ham Member QRZ Page

very nice trip out and well done, nice gear and transport as well.

7. K9WN

K9WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice article. But you left out one thing: WHERE'S A PICTURE OF THE PUPPY? <GRIN>

KN6CMK likes this.
  8. K9WN

K9WN Ham Member QRZ Page

OOPS! Just found the pic of the puppy. I blame senility.

KN6CMK and W0FW like this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great story and pictures!

Just one small thing:

30 meters was off limits because Field Day doesn't include the WARC bands.

73 de Jim, N2EY

K7RA, WU8Y, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video and operation. Some observations are in order.

The video title is "Man Portable Ham Radio Station | Field Day 2019", though I see a fat bike was used to cart the equipment. Yes, the fat bike is "man powered." Perhaps it's just my perception and opinion that "man portable" means the man carries the gear.

The fat bike is mechanized transport, and the materials sourcing and manufacturing of said bike definitely leaves a carbon footprint.

Perhaps you meant motorized transport instead of mechanized transport?

Less is more, eh? Solar panels (plural), power controller, Raspberry PI B3+, GPS to sync up PI, JS8-call and device to run such software. No offense, Julian, but W0FW's FD operation appeared to be more in keeping with "less is more" - at least to this amateur.

I note at the end of the video special thanks going to PowerFilm Solar, Chameleon Antenna, Super Antenna, NorTent of Norway, Jordan Sherer, K-Tor LLC, Spider Beam, and Canadian Prepper. I'm curious how much of the equipment - or better yet which pieces used in the video was/were donated by manufacturers or reps.

Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT

N7BDY, K2NCC, US7IGN and 2 others like this.
  11. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Oh this is a good place for my thoughts. The spirit of field day... I just wished everyone followed the rules. I was under the impression that when someone calls QRZ, you say your call sign and if they here you then you both exchange the transactional information (that some people can't stand and say it's just an evil contest) and then at the end the person calling CQ or QRZ usually says "good luck and 73". At that point I was under the assumption of the rules that the person THEN gives their call sign and calls QRZ again. Instead the instant the world hears 73 there is this mass pileup of 1500 watts of desperation (sarcasm on the 1500 watts... just desperation). I know, I know at this point there will be 43 comments pointing out the fact it doesn't make any difference that there would be a pileup as soon as they call QRZ. I like to know in advance who I am replying to. I jot down their call sign in advance so I don't have to go through the bullshit of "you're 5 and 9 plus 20 but what was your call again? again again? Can you give that to me phonetically slower? LOL I digress. Makes it really difficult for people with 5 or 6 watts. Anyway we live in a world where there are no rules, everyone does as they damn well pleases and trophies for everyone why would amateur radio be any different? The picture is my field day operation. I made contacts over in New Hampshire, Texas, Ontario and Columbia, California (1900 miles away on 6 watts) so I was pretty happy. Nope.. beyond happy. I 'm still doing the happy dance! QRP isn't about quantity that's for sure. One contact 1100 miles away can be a rush like no other. Carry on.

Attached Files:

US7IGN, AK5B and WN1MB like this.
  12. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me "man portable" means having a backpack rack of ham radio gear, antenna mounted and dragging a counterpoise.

I like the SOTA model, even more so for the big Field Day.

However, I really enjoyed seeing the vid and the photos.

AK5B likes this.
  13. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian, Shawn, Gary...thank you for sharing your single op setups for FD and for getting out into the "field". I especially appreciate Julian's detailed equipment lists and instructional videos on deployment, software and hardware.

And check out Shawn's Zed page...the picture of the selfie with bovine is hilarious!

W0FW likes this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting past the nitpicking negative nancy's I am happy to see some getting the idea of field day in context. Getting the gear in remote locations as a single person is a daunting task so use whatever you need to get it all there. Just three days of MRE's and water is a load to bear. I went around for field day to several sites and saw none applying true remote operations.
    Motor homes, gensets, towers and keurigs isn't how I see it but with the aging population of hams it's understandable. Not going to pick on them or you guys who ventured out alone. Thanks for pushing true man portable operations and showing us.

AK5B likes this.
  15. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian's videos are inspiring and instructive, as is his website: https://oh8stn.org/

A good group to join regarding man-portable gear is: https://groups.io/g/hfpack Their legacy site is here: http://www.hfpack.com/

Another cool site: http://hflink.com/

I'm FD chair for our association and most of our hams are well into their late 60s and early 70s and some are much older. FD needs to be comfortable, coffee should be hot 24/7, meals need to be prepped and cooked, logging software networked and antennas troubleshot. Our members prefer that FD be inside a fire station or similar if they are going to stay and operate over both days. If we are outside under a pavilion or awning tent, those without campers will operate during the day, but will go back home at night.

Fortunately our local fire departments are happy to have us use their space, and we enjoy meeting the chiefs and volunteers.

If I want to do true man-portable, I'll do a SOTA, POTA or winter field day.

Hugh

KG6BXW likes this.