ad: M2Ant-1

True Blue DXers Club

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K2FW, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2FW

K2FW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats working them on CW.
    By the way, with FT8, you don't hear them, you see them! LOL
    The ARRL made a huge mistake.

Am hoping the TBDXERS club continues to grow.

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only DX contacts I really care about are CW. It's not b/c I believe it's better than any other mode - it's b/c I KNOW I can make the contact and I dont have to listen to SSB pileups (they drive me NUTS) and I dont like the boringness of hunting DX on FT8.

AE7BT likes this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I have more Mixed DXCC Countries than Phone.
    I have earned DXCC Mixed, CW, PHONE, Digital, 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10
    and WAS Mixed, PHONE, Digital, FT8, RTTY, 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10

I am glad that Phone is not AM only, LOL.

Hmm, I don't find FT8 boring, frustrating at times LOL, but not boring.

4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It passes the time. I use it when it's the right tool - like if I'm operating remotely or if I'm doing other things. But chasing DX? Ugh. The Baker Is. FT8 operation was eye-opening.

K2HAT likes this.
  5. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Just sent in my application to become a member of this group, good idea and glad to see there are still lots of interest in CW/SSB. I have 363 to my credit, all CW/SSB no computers, automation, code readers, or robot CW, just one man and his radio. Plus all 363 confirmed with paper cards, no check marks, stars, or squares. It has worked for me since 58 when I became a dx chaser.

W7UUU, AE7BT and AD5HR like this.
  6. K2FW

K2FW Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL should never have placed FT8 into the mixed DXCC because it is sub-audible & must be seen & not heard. All of the other modes were always “heard.” Even RTTY. Because of that, FT8 & other future sub-audible modes will now become mainstream in chasing all of the ARRL DXCC Award programs & force the decline of “heard” modes in future years. It’s really quite sad because in the history of Radio, it has always been a medium that was listened to; not seen.

7. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the the sweet smell of ozone from your rotary spark gap

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's pretty insulting. Really.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

It was the first DXpedition to use the mode methodically. The operators will certainly discuss the issues they encountered with the developers. Things could improve. There is potential, but no certainty that it's going to be realized.

The mode may be too automated/automatic for some already, but as we saw it during the DXpedition, it's not idiot proof in the sense that idiots can still cause problems using it.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. K2FW

K2FW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some who have are incapable of having discussions based on facts, so they instead rely on insults. It appears k2cqw is one of those.

W7UUU likes this.