True Blue DXers Club

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K2FW, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I miss Hugh Cassidy, WA6AUD (SK) stories. I have the book with a collection of the originals. It has a place of honor in my ham radio library.

Paul, VE1DX published a number of new ones following the original style. They are available here:

https://www.ve1dx.net/Stories/stories.html

As for the sag of the bag, unfortunately they are full of other stuff, sometimes. Not necessarily an indication of DX achievements these days. :D

2. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have the book, you will see that it was edited and published by the Allen brothers. My brother had been a long time subscriber, and when Cass pulled the plugged, we decided to do the book. Cass furnished us with all the original issues, and my brother selected and organized what he figured were the best of them. We published the book, probably 40 years ago, or nearly so, carefully depositing one in the Library of Congres so a thousand years from now, archeologists would be able to puzzle over the Eternal Enigmas, Mysteries of the Ages, and other issues which the Deserving, and others, struggled to understand.

We sold them all over the world. Martii, OH2BH told my brother some years ago that he kept his copy on his nightstand next to his Bible!

It’s been out of print for a long time. When I moved from Coronado, I found a box or so, and those are gone too.

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

That's right. From the cover:

Edited and Published by Charles T. Allen W5DV and James M. Allen W6OGC

First Printing February 1981

Coincidently enough, its place on the shelf is next to Martii's Where do we go next?

4. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

https://www.ve1dx.net/Stories/story001.html :)

5. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang onto that book! They are scarce these days. We get inquiries every now and then.

All of Cass’s stories are online, but that’s all of them, in no order, some better than others. The big job was pulling out the thematic ones and sorting into chapters.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

As long as I'm kicking and screaming, the book is not going anywhere. That will certainly change, after I become fertilizer, and join the mineral world.:D

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want a book about the days when ham radio was the real deal, when DX chasing was exciting and magical and it was every OM for himself, get a copy of the W6AM Don Wallace biography by Jan Perkins. You'll read about how real DXing was done before packet clusters, web spots, computers, list taking, FT8 et al., and the rest of the socialization of DXing.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

You talk as if nowadays the "real deal" doesn't exist.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a "new deal" but there was never an old deal so now we have a real deal. Such a deal!

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah, what's 'real deal' versus today? I'm working off a multi-band ground mounted vertical - I consider that more 'real deal' than a HUGE tower with monoband yagis for each band...

Anyway, my interest in 'True Blue DXers Club' was minimal but after a weekend of chasing KH1/KH7A my disdain for FT8 grew... I keep an eye out for them on their FT8 freqs. in hopes of hearing them. I dont call if I dont hear them --- but what about the dozens of people continuously calling them on FT8 even when they arent on the air! What are those guys doing? Are they just continuously calling every 15 seconds while they're at dinner/mowing/golfing/etc. in hopes that when they DO come on the air, a contact will happen whether they're at the station or not? Seems like a pretty cheap contact... I stopped pursuing them on FT8.

Glad I got them on CW.

KP4SX, WG7X and W7UUU like this.