TRUCKERS FREQUENCY

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG6UGS, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KG6UGS

KG6UGS Ham Member

I am looking for the 2 meter or 440 truckers frequency between CA and Tucson AZ , I had it once and lost it, can anyone help, it is on 2 meter or 440

thanks
    ted

2. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member

I thought it was 27.185? But that's not 2m.

Far as I know - hams on 2m are hams on 2m - whether they're driving a rig, a bug or a segway. That whole idea of a 'truckers' anything belongs to another radio service.

3. KG6UGS

KG6UGS Ham Member

frequency

oh brother

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member

Ted -

146.520 MHz is the National Simplex frequency for 2-meters.
    IF they are not using a regional/linked repeater through the mountains -- 146.430 and 146.550 MHz simplex were used in parts of the Midwest, at one time for semi-trailer operators that I knew (now retired).

w9gb

5. KG6UGS

KG6UGS Ham Member

frequency

thank you very much, now that is a good answer
    thanks Ted

6. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member

Maybe you can scan the bands and listen for a roger beep. :D

7. KG6UGS

KG6UGS Ham Member

frequency

thanks I Dad was a JARHEAD also

8. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member

Now a days we all pretty much sit on 146.52. Some run a pl so they can keep the cab quite unless personally called. That tends to be 88.5. I know a couple guys that run 446.000, but again, its rare. Chances are if you see a truck with a 2m/440 whip on it, give a call on 146.52 and you will get an answer. Also, check out APRS, check all the stations with -14 after there call. Most are big trucks, and most put in there data what freq they monitor. When we see each other pop up near each other, we normally call each other up. Other then that, its pretty quite out there. You can maybe get some more direct answers at www.hamtrucker.com . Don't let these trolls get to ya. I am a Ham, and I am a TRUCKER!!!! And I am proud of it! So ya, truckers do use ham radio and do have frequencies that they meet on. Deal with it!

9. KG6UGS

KG6UGS Ham Member

WC5B THANK YOU

10. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member

I don't think anyone has a problem with truckers using ham frequencies when they have a license. Unfortunately there are truckers using our frequencies on 10m/2m/70cm that are not licensed.

The wording of the original question was poor, and I'm not surprised at the replies.

Something like, "What frequencies do ham truckers use" makes it clear we are talking about licensed hams.

"What is the truckers frequency" implies illegal activity to many that read it.

11. K4PBN

K4PBN Ham Member

Years ago I knew some truckers who said they used 147.570 simplex.

12. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member

Its not a poor question in context and when its received by the audience he was looking for. It was sent from a registered Ham user name, and when you are a trucker, you know there are "trucker frequencies" on ham radio. The pirate operations don't have such an organized method, and 2m/440 is very rare to have trucker piracy. So in context, truckers consider 146.52 the "road freq", and there are HF truckers calling frequencies on HF. Most notably 14.302.5 . So... in context and when directed at the subject audience, it was worded just fine. Snipping comments about my profession does not answer his question regardless. People need to remember where all there comfy clothes, big screen tv's, and there morning eggs comes from. If they have such an issue with us stupid truckers, they should empty there homes of all the stuff that was brought by a truck. Oh, I guess that would actually include the house itself. I'm just saying that stereotyping helps nothing.

13. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Ham Member

... "What is the truckers frequency" implies illegal activity to many that read it.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
    Ted, please don't cop an attitude because someone gave you a "quick" answer to a poorly worded question. At first I thought you might be new to the hobby and I was about to welcome you to the hobby but I see you've been licensed for a while and have 1,875 look-ups on your call here.
    I have had some very enjoyable QSOs with truckers on 146.52 Mhz during my travels between Kansas City and Colorado Springs.
    Tom WA4ILH

14. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member

On a somewhat related note:

Every time propagation of the upper HF spectrum favors the west and southwest, I hear a lot of activity on CB channel 5 (27.015) which appears to originate in Mexico; the number of signals present suggest an extremely large number of concurrent users. For those truckers who routinely make border crossings, a question: Is that CB channel considered to be the "Mexico Trucker Channel", much as Channel 19 is used by U.S. truckers?

15. KG6UGS

KG6UGS Ham Member

FREQUENCY

YOU MUST BE RETIRED

16. KG6UGS

KG6UGS Ham Member

TOM Thanks I am not doing that, hey I got some pretty good worded answers

17. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member

I hate to tell ya, but "Trucker" is not defined, or as you state, implied.... as illegal. Its a profession. Trolling forums just shows ignorance in the threads subject, no matter what the subject is.

18. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member

But this isn't hamtrucker.com, and since the majority here are not truckers, or understand what "trucker frequencies" means, it was poorly worded for qrz.com. If he was indeed looking for a ham trucker audience, maybe this was the wrong site to post.

I have no idea how you feel any of this is putting down truckers? When someone replies to a poorly written question, because they take the question as asking about illegal activity, that is hardly trolling.

To go on about how we are putting down truckers, after explaining that the meaning of the original post caused confusion, makes no sense.

It is apparent now that the original post was not about illegal activity, but with the wording, it is easy to assume that it was about illegal activity. And with that assumption, the original post would be trolling, not the replies.

19. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member

28.085. That's the "company channel".

20. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member

I am glad that you operate legally. At the same time, there are some in your profession that don't operate legally.

That said, maybe you should cop the 'tude' with those illegal operators, and not with us.

If those illegal operators didn't exist, then many of the comments wouldn't have been made in the first place.

The problems some of us have is with illegal operations, and not truckers per say.

Put it in the proper prospective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.