Trouble understanding theory and circuit concepts

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by K5GTI, May 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you thinking of G5B10 ? - What percentage of power loss would result from a transmission line loss of 1 dB?
    A. 10.9 percent
    B. 12.2 percent
    C. 20.5 percent
    D. 25.9 percent

I have NOT memorized the Log tables, but that's an easy one to see. Using one more extension of your well known 3dB rule, and comparing it to 10dB, 25% for increase and 20% for decrease is elementary school in your head math.

I followed a path very similar to your own. Different reference material though. Anyone with an ounce of curiosity continues to learn long after they get any license.

K5GTI likes this.
  2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I will get this one to play around with and bring some things in my brain back from the dead. I like this one cause it comes with software to use your computer as a scope.
    ( I am sure some could put these together, all 750 projects, with their eyes taped shut and their hands tied behind their backs. I won't say any names. And probably wouldn't be caught dead with one of these!!!!!!)
    John, WB0MPB

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. AF4RK

AF4RK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was serving as a VE, I saw one fellow just not answer any math questions and still passed! I know he did that because we asked him if he had a calculator and he said he didn't need one as he wasn't going to answer any questions that would need one.
    AF4RK

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A school teacher would smack you with a ruler and mark your test Incomplete.

The FCC is to easy now that there is no more fill in the blank. (Unless you count your name.)

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

There haven't been fill in the blank FCC tests in 50 years or so. I took my First Class Radiotelephone test on January 18, 1978 and there were no fill in the blank or essay type questions on that at all. And it was essentially the highest test that the FCC administered, other than the radiotelegraph tests.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I am a old fart. The last fill in the blank must have been the code test.

AD5KO likes this.
  7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was all 'multiple guess' in 1965 when I took my first test. The only exception other than later code tests was on the Extra I took in 1972, where I had a couple things I had to write in. Had to draw in a missing component on one, and add a neutralizing capacitor to another.

8. K1SZO

K1SZO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm currently studying for the Extra exam also.

I purchased the ARRL Extra Manual and what I'm doing is reading a section and then I use a practice test that only covers that section. Each section I read, I then take the that section test and re-take practices exams for the sections I've already covered.

By the time I complete the book I will be taking the full practice exams over and over until I pass easily every time.