ad: elecraft

trouble starting again in Arizona

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ZZT, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7ZZT

N7ZZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,
    2 months ago I got wind that Tim Hoffman (see: http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Compliance/Notices/da961478.txt ).

In case none of you remember, Mr. Hoffman was eventually popped by the FCC back in late 1996 for $6,000 for malicious interference and other nastiness.

It seems that He has again started in on the local ham community.

The latest Viction: k7rqm (Peter Knoll). Mr. hoffman and friends have been calling his HOA pretending to be his neighbors and complain when he even sets up an antenna on his car.

Other incidents have even included harrassing and threatening phone calls (I should know, I spoke with peter at some length on this and suggested he seek legal help for the phone calls, etc).

Now, I haven't heard any of these people on the amateur frequencies yet, but given the type of personalities we are dealing with here, its highly likely these nitwits will escelate this before too long.

Unfortunately, I don't see the FCC being very helpful on this matter any time soon.

At this point, I do not wish to see a repeat of the fiasco from 1993 through to late 1996 (once was more then enough).

if anyone on here has any reasonable advise or suggestions, I'll forward them to peter.

serious replies only please.

DE N7ZZT

2. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Call the cops: threatening phones calls are a felony, and there are also laws against harassment.

3. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Round up a posse and don't bring em in. Take their boots off'n them and make 'em walk in their long john's through the desert in the hot midday sun. that'll larn 'em.

G0GQK

4. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Then make em watch at least a half dozen consecutive episodes of The High Chaparral...at gunpoint!

5. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

That might also be construed as Identity Theft?

6. K9ROO

K9ROO Ham Member QRZ Page

You're not a lawyer, don't give legal advice. ESPECIALLY calling things a felony unless you know exactly where the person is located.

Places like Wyoming, Nebraska, and other states there are certain levels and/or restrictions which define what a Felony or Misdemeanor of Identity Theft or Identity Fraud.

Just googled a nifty link, not sure if its up to date.
    http://www.ncsl.org/programs/lis/privacy/idt-statutes.htm

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  7. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wyoming doesn't worry much about identity theft unless there is physical harm or financial loss involved. They have stiffer penalties for impersonating wildlife. :D

8. K9ROO

K9ROO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a lawyer, but I do have in depth knowledge of how the basic legal system works. I encourage you to get a copy of the printed Arizona Statutes or state of residence and learn them.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/02008.htm

Please read the link above before continuing to read.

If the incident you specified is happening in Arizona, then the person in question is committing a Class 4 Felony if used for "any unlawful purpose"

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/02702.htm

I'm not sure if those would stick, but one could always try!

I just spoke with an Arizona police officer at the department in Phoenix, he stated falsifying a complaint/report is illegal and to call (602) 262-6151.

They do not take that crap lightly.

I love the legal system, mainly because I love my freedom and encourage others to know their rights.

I open carry my firearm every day, with the exception of CCing in places I know which will ask me to leave. In Alaska, "no firearms" signs have no legal bearing, so sometimes in places like that if I know there is an gun grabber on the clock I'll cover up. ;)

9. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a misdemeanor here. VA Code 18.2-427

10. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Asking for legal advice on a ham forum is like asking an electrician to fix a leaky pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.