Tripod needed

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KF5DMC, May 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KF5DMC

KF5DMC Ham Member QRZ Page

What brand of tripod do yall recomend for holding a light weight dual bander tape measure antenna?? I have a home brewed/built to hold this antenna for a schedule 40 PVC 2 and 3/4s size with the correct mount to hold it..
    I have been using my ic T-70A dual band HT and it works well for this set up.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

MCM Electronics has some pretty stout sound and lighting tripods that go on sale pretty often:

3. KF5DMC

Thank you

4. KF5FEI

5. KF5DMC

This is my Tape Measure antenna.
    One section is 11inches long... the 2nd section is 9inches long... Two T's one both ends and one cross for the center element....
    I also have a short one minute video clip of this antenna in action with my IC T70A dual bander if any one wants to see...

Attached Files:

6. KF5DMC

I highly recomend this antenna as a back up incase your primary antenna fails but I find that,
    I get better signal reception and signal gain with the tape antenna.... id say atleast 2.5decibite gain to 3.5 max..
    one like this works well with the Yeasu 817 and the FT60R as well.....

7. KF5FEI

Ok. The way I mounted my Elk on a camera tripod was to drill a piece of aluminum bar for 1/4-20 (tripod thread), bolt it to a floor flange, then use various PVC pieces to get it to a PVC pipe union, which allows you to remove or rotate the antenna without unbolting the base from the tripod.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought one from the local Dish installer. Not a marvel of structural integrity but it does the job.

9. KG7SWP

KG7SWP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thrift shops have them all the time.

Ed

10. K4KHC

K4KHC Ham Member QRZ Page

send me your address i have a few tripods that a friend of mine gave me and i really don't need them ! I will be happy to send you one !