ad: hamcandy-E

TransWorld Adventurer 2010 Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KR6B, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
  1. KR6B

KR6B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone had good experience using TransWorld's Adventurer (2010) antenna in a degraded location, i.e. in my case it would be just 15 feet from a two story home and within 5 feet of some trees (spruces, about 15 feet tall). Obviously way below what TransWorld recommends, which is about 30 feet from buildings/trees/etc. I've read great reviews of this antenna and while it's not inexpensive, if it would work for me in my mega-CC&R policed QTH that would be great. Even if that worked out for me, I'd initially have to operate after dark. Anyway, if anyone has been successful with a similar location, thanks in advance for your input. 73, Brian KR6B Boise, ID
  2. WB2RYV

WB2RYV Ham Member QRZ Page

For what it's worth, I was in a QSO with someone who was using one of them yesterday afternoon on 20 meters. He was using an FT-897 at 100 watts.

According to him, he was on the balcony of his condo in south florida (near Ft. Lauderdale). 2nd floor, blacony opens to the north. Balcony is about 6 feet deep, with about 3' of that extending beyond the building. Balcony has steel safety rails up to about waist height.

He was about 20 over S9 in CT. He claimed that he usually gets very good results with the antenna and that he's close to WAS as well as all the Canadian provinces. He did admit that some of those states were worked while portable away from home, but claimed that most of them were worked from his balcony.

I have no way of validating any of that, but I was asking because I've been thinking of one of those for some portable ARES applications I have in mind.

You might also want to look at the Buddipole.
  3. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got one and have it mounted through a glass and metal patio table on the patio about 6 feet from the back of my house and about 15 feet from some pretty good size trees and busshes. I have a rotatable dipole (that I can't rotate) in my attic. I constantly compare the 2 and most of the time they are pretty close , but once in a while one will outshine the other by quite a bit.

This thing is built like a tank. I first assembled mine in my great room with 18' high ceilings. I had it standing up against the fireplace wall and when my wife came home I thought she was gonna have a heart attack. She is the HOA pres. and doesn't have much of a sense of humor about what I put out on the patio. I told her I will take it down in the spring. It only takes about 10 minutes to assemble it or take it apart.

I recently bought a second antenna with the idea of phasing them, but I don't know if it will work or not. I haven't really had time to experiment with it either.

I work mostly CW and the bandwidth is very good on all bands except for 20 meters. When it came it was resonant close to 14.275 and I haqd to stretch the 20 meter coil in the matching box a little bit to bring it down in my ball park. They explain how to do it in the manual. On the other bands it covers the whole band with no problem. I don't have any troublr working all over the world with my 100 watts.
  4. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right. It probably would not work very well on 80 or 40, since it is designed to work as a half-wave vertical dipole only on 10-20 meters.
  5. M3KXZ

M3KXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have personal experience of top and bottom capacity hatted vertical dipoles?

These antennas work FAR better than your typical short vertical. The top and bottom capacity hats result in pretty uniform current distribution along the vertical parts of the dipole, and the result is they only lose very slightly compared with a full size 20m vertical dipole. I know this from personal experience, and having built this type of antenna myself. There is reliable science to support why these antennas work well. It's eroneous to make a comparison between any vertical and something like a horizontal/sloping end fed - RF is at different elevations. The only reasonable comparison is between something like the Transworld Backpacker or the Force 12 Sigma 5 and a full size vertical.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like the name of that plane which flew non -stop around the world a few years ago.
  7. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a Force 12 Sigma 5 also. As you know they are basically the same design. The Sigma 5 is a lot lighter and more suited for portable operation. I think the TW2010 backpacker is the same antenna I have except it is manually bandswitched. The 2010 weighs at least twice what the Sigma 5 does and requires a box about twice the size also.

Performance between the two is about identical, with the TW-2010 being more suited for a more permanent installation. There is no comparison in the remote control box and the matching box with the TW2010 being much nicer and more heavy duty, but of course adding to the weight.

Sometimes it is hard to remamber that this antenna is about 10 feet tall and sitting less than 10' from my house, and is basically ground mounted, and sometimes the harsh reality of it hits you like a ton of bricks. Still, in my opinion, it is a darn good comprimise antenna.
  8. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

For performance, it's hard to imagine that the Adventurer will perform any better than, say, a hamstick mounted on a car. I would guess that that hefty price tag (eHam sez $399...ouch!) buys you convenience more than performance. I looks like it's a breeze to setup and operate without the usual hassles when coming up with an original, cheap solution to an antenna problem.

Sounds like the problem you're dealing with is the necessity for a stealthy antenna. This will obviously do that for you, but there are other, much cheaper, solutions to the stealth problem. There's always the "flagpole" solution...another is a dipole in the attic, if there's room, or, my favorite, a wire antenna made from #26 wire. That wire is invisible (sometimes even when you know it's there), and with trees around, you could throw up some kind of sloping wire that nobody would know is there. That'll give you the kind of length you need. You'll need a tuner for matching, but that won't come anywhere near the expense of the adventurer. The other thing is that #26 wire doesn't last long when used like this....but it's cheap & when one get broke, just put another one!

Whatever you do, have fun!
  9. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Like the Buddipole [which I own], the TWA is a highly convenient antenna - it's perfect for locations where supporting structures are questionable, and speed of antenna erection valued. None of these antennas claim to perform miracles, although I've had some good results with my BP, even on 75 meter.

Pretty much any of these compact antennas benefits from a correct setup in terms of location, elevation, and wiring [counterpoises for the BP when vertical for example, the feed line routing for the TWA]. higher mounting is almost always better for any antenna and these are no different.

Sounds to me like you have a tree that's almost 1/4 wave tall on 20 meters -have you considered a Spruce Tree Vertical? After all, ground mounted radials are not visible. After the tree grows you can add wires for 30 meters and eventually, 40 meters...<G>

I wish I could afford to spring for the TWA cause I'd love to do a side by side with my Buddpole - although the ability of the BP to go all the way to 80 meters is a big advantage in MY eye, portable 80 meter NVIS operation is pretty good and I've gotten decent results with it - at least within my needs - up to about 600 miles on SSB is acceptable to my needs.

My last comment however, is that I strongly suggest whenever possible, a permanent antenna for a fixed QTH - Almost any fixed full-size antenna will outperform a reduced size antenna. But HOA's are a real mother, so I understand the problem.

BTW, I find painted aluminum tubing VERY easy to conceal within the canopy of a tree. Not that you need to know that or anything. Krylon makes a set of camo colors in spray cans that really sticks well to clean aluminum tubing, although I cannot imagine why that information would be important to you.

And an SGC or MFJ remote tuner located at the base of a tree has a remarkably small footprint and they can match a remarkable variety of wires/tubes. But you probably don't need to know that either...<G>
  10. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Who kicked your nest? I re-read the thread, none of us are making 'miracle' claims. I made some comments that I've been happy with my PB, and that I thought it would be interesting to A/B against the TWA but that I can't afford that.

Another guy said he's WAS on one? does not seem to be an outrageous claim for super-performance to me.

For portable operation, having a free-standing and self-supporting antenna can be useful. One wants them to work as well as possible within their limitations to be sure.

My favorite 'portable' antenna is the Discone at the Titan missile site, but the antenna is not itself portable.

Hey, when Gordon West reviews the Tac-Comm and publishes it in CQ, we can certainly discuss the TWA and BP on this site.
  11. KB8MYC

KB8MYC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have run the 2010 for about a year, mounted in my attic (I'm in a condo). I'm lucky enought to have a very tall attic peak and have the room. I have worked 35 countries and almost all states running 100 watts on a combination of voice, cw, & psk31. I see no reason this antenna would not work in your situation. Now, before the nay sayers jump in, it's not a mega beam, but it does great for what it is.
  12. K6ADW

K6ADW QRZ Member QRZ Page

Good compromise antenna

I've had mine for the best part of a year and have accumulated around 35 countries in casual operating plus a large number of contacts in the US and even more countries and contacts when I've operated in a contest.

What I've noticed about the antenna is that it is very durable. I've had mine outside in my back yard for most of the year with a quick trip in the carry bag to Texas being the only break. Tuning is easy and I found that out of the box was nearly dead on.

It can do surprisingly well as a DX antenna. My first ever DX contact was 30 mins after I put up the antenna with no great thought in my yard, probably 10-12 feet from the house. I got such a thrill when I got through to Jim, E51JD on the second or third call.

Then on other days you will wonder if its working as it's not a great RX antenna and some days you wonder if you're signal is getting out. You then realize that it is a compromise and that if you are able to put up a small beam or large vertical with all the ground radials you might RX and TX better.

The point being its being great value as versatile multi band antenna (it does 10m through 20m), but don't expect miracles or a pile-up buster. In fact I would say that operating 100w with this antenna has taught me much about how to be a small gun station and still make the odd DX contact. Make no mistake you will not bust pile ups with this antenna, but if you hear a DX station calling CQ you have a chance of making the contact.

It's also a little unwieldy as a truly backpack-style portable antenna but for car trips it goes easily into the trunk and takes 2 mins to assemble. Plus unlike the Mp-1, Buddipole or Buddistick you rarely have to spend time tuning it.

Just my thoughts. I am a satisfied owner and will continue to use it but will likely replace it in the near future with something larger and more permanent.

Andrew / K6ADW
  13. KI6DPT

KI6DPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Quality Compromise Antenna

I have the TW2010 mounted permanent 4' above our rear peak of our 2-story townhome in Costa Mesa, CA. I get away with it even with the heavy CC& R restrictions because we are a very small association (6 members), and our unit is in the rear of the lot- the 2nd peak helps minimize the visibility a little. I am also the Treasurer and a Director :)

The reasons I selected it were:
    1. Absolutely no room for ground radials
    2. Realitively small in height
    3. 5-band coverage
    4. Power handling capability

I'll cut to the chase and say it is a fine antenna for my situation. Build quality is exceptional. If you have questions, their customer service and technical people are available and very helpful.

I only run 100 W but am thinking about adding an amp. Incidentially, I have a 12' x 16' metal patio roof about 20 feet away from the antenna.

I have had the antenna 1 year this month, with most activity on 20M. On 20 meters my Par end fed dipole in a slope configuration is better overall. But with a push of a button, my TW-2010 goes to 17M (nice QSL with YV2BYT in Venezuela last night), 15M, 12M, and 10M).

The main thing is don't give up. I talked to a fellow the other night using a 20M dipole in his attic running 100 W in Florida and we exchanged 59both ways. If ground radials are out of the question, dipoles - horizontal or vertical work well. Usiing a transmatch might allow you to conceal a loop in your trees or on your roof - and get you more bands.

There will always be a place for my TW-2010 antenna. It would be a keeper for great portable use even if I had the land for a tower!

14. KG6ASY

KG6ASY Guest

I Just won a TW2010L

Well on Feild Day I called in to the QSO SW Radio show on 9.330mhz and Talked with Ted Randall about what I was doing for flday...Low and Behold I was the winner of the TW2010L.....Cant Wait FORIT TO GET HERE.......

I'LL Let YOU know HOW it WORKS
    73's TIM...KG6ASY
  15. KG6ASY

KG6ASY Guest

still wating

well a mounth has gone bye and no antenna........ ill call to day........
  16. N0YXE

N0YXE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Transworld antenna is a compromise in the sense that unless you have a multi element beam on a large tower, all antennas may be a compromise. Compared with my previous 135 foot Buckmaster OCF, the Buckmaster appears more and more to be a compromise antenna! I think Einstein had a term for it. As soon as the communists who rule my HOA are relieved of command by a federal mandate, I will have my tower. I will never let go of my Transworld antennas, however.
  17. N0YXE

N0YXE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Transworld antenna system is better than great. I've had it for a couple weeks and it beats the full size G5RV and the 135 foot Buckmaster OCF! I needed two states to finish the WAS award, without using DX nets. I've been working on it for a few years. After a recent clash with my homes association I had to find a new antenna. I worked Hawaii and Alaska within 24 hours of each other! Don't tell me it's the band conditions....thank you Transworld for a powerful antenna system.
  18. KG6ASY

KG6ASY Guest

well i got it .... its... ok.... awsome for a free..... cool idea... grate for the traveler...
  19. W7KB

W7KB Ham Member QRZ Page

Transworld Antennas TW-2010

I have had my TW-2010 in operation here at my QTH in a HOA restricted development near Tucson for about 2 years now.I cannot attest to operation near trees,but mine is placed 11' from a cinder block wall and 11' from my house,which is stucco walled with chicken wire beneath it.I had to tune the coils for a few of the bands,but overall the performance is more than I expected,having worked into Kazakhstan and Kuwait very recently.My power output level has never exceeded 80 watts and I get superb signal reports even while running QRP with my ICOM 703+ @ 10watts.I tried the TW-4040,but had trouble trying to get the SWR properly adjusted,so back it went.I can only make my opinion on the TW-2010.It is also a quite stealthy antenna in addition to it's great performance for an antenna that is less than 9' tall in height.73.Dennis/W7KB.
  20. WB0SND

WB0SND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they're fantastic. Of course, they are a compromise antenna and won't perform like a full sized antenna BUT, they are ULTRA FAST to set up and take down. It takes less than 5 minutes and more like 2 minutes to set them up or take them down. That is perfect for apartment dwellers and portable operation. Try setting up a Buddipole that quickly.

I did an A/B comparison of received signals between the TW antenna and a Butternut vertical that is ground mounted with 12 radials. On 10 thru 20 meters the received signal strength was the same on both antennas. 30 Meters was pretty close with the TW antenna being maybe just a little down from the Butternut. 40 meters was down about 1/2 to 1 S-unit compared to the Butternut. Although I bought the 80 meter resonator, I haven't tried it yet. I think this is a fair test in the "real world".

I have used this antenna down in FLA during the ARRL DX CW contest and on Field Day. It performed extremely well. I was able to work quite a bit of DX and get into pileups and work stations despite the small portable antenna and 100 watts. The first night we arrived in Florida (St. George Is.), I set up the antenna and went to bed. We had an awful storm that night with winds that had to be in excess of 50 mph. I was sure I'd find the antenna on it's side in the morning. Nope. Still standing on it's little quad stand. I tried pushing the antenna over and it took an amazing amount of force to get it to tip.

During Field Day, we switched between a dipole at 40 feet and the TW antenna and most times received signals were STRONGER on the TW antenna. The downside is that it is EXPENSIVE and getting more expensive. Also, I understand they are having trouble delivering product due to the popularity of this antenna.

I have the antenna outside my home office which is on the other side of the house from the normal radio shack. I have an FT-817 connected to it and sometimes work some CW with the 817 and TW antenna. I have worked an amazing amount of DX with the 817 and 2.5 to 5 watts (mostly CW).

I bought mine after reading the reviews on Eham. I suggest anyone considering this antenna do the same.

Criticisims? Sure. The quad stand that comes with the Backpacker is a little awkward to set up. The little retainer at the bottom is hard to get into place and sometimes will fall out. I came up with a better retainer the works better. I have a little trouble keeping the 40 meter resonator in tune. I've had to re-tune it a couple of times after bouncing it around some.

BTW, mine is the "Backpacker" version which requires manual bandswitching.

One of my radio clubs, SLSRC (St. Louis Suburban Radio Club) bought one after borrowing mine several times. They loved it. They use it for special events and portable operation. Many of them are not terribly experienced with HF, but, have very little trouble setting it up and getting on the air. Many of the members are now getting on HF because of this antenna.

I highly recommend this antenna to anyone who has antenna restrictions or wants a high performing, easy to erect antenna.
    Mike WB0SND
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.