ad: vanity

Transmit Duty Cycle of 50W 2M Mobile Rigs

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KN4DMZ, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KN4DMZ

KN4DMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well surprise, surprise, surprise.

After a total lapse of communication, Baofengtech refunded me 100% of my purchase price, without asking me.

They added that my requirements were beyond the scope of this radio and threw in the ever present, "and evidence of impedance mismatch" that they say to everyone claiming a problem. This was complete BS as I only operated the unit into a 50ohm 300W resistive dummy load with perfect SWR during test.

In any case this gives me $ 160.00 to put towards a better radio. I would love to Go with a YaesuFT-991A, which combines HF and VHF/UHF, but my gut tells me that separate HF and VHF rigs are better.

With, that I am open to suggestions of Big 3 dual band or tri-band radios. I would like to keep the price under $250.00. Are there any other radios that any of you think I should look at? My plan is to use a 50-75W mobile as a base. I have a nice 30A regulated supply. Size and separate control head is not an issue in this case.

I do however like Chirp and would like a radio that can be programmed with Chirp, but most of the main radios are supported by chirp.

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's temperature rise vs ambient temperature vs heatsink temperature limit. For example, if the limit is 100°C and ambient is 45°C, you can dump less heat into the heatsink than if ambient is 23°C. Or, you can push it harder on cooler days. :)

4. NM0O

NM0O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Kenwood TM-D710A dual band radio has given me excellent service in a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. I commute 22 miles to work three or four times a week, and the repeater I frequent is nearly 35 miles away, so I use 50 watts on the road.

The rig has a nice little fan on it, and I suppose it runs most of the time since it's underneath my driver's seat. Still, I've never had a power drop-0ff in my worst bouts of longwindedness. I've had the radio for about four years, I guess.

Jon, NM0O

5. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

The above mentioned Yaesu Ft-7900R is excellent. Or, the Icome IC-2730A DLX for real "2 bands at the same time" Don't forget there are 4 major ham radio manufacturers, not 3. Alinco is the often forgotten but still nice quality choice. Their DR-638T and Dr-735T are worth a look.
    However, I have great luck with used radios. Every one of the 5 dual band mobile rigs I currently use was purchased used on Ebay. None has ever given a moments problem.