ad: elecraft

Transcontinental 2M Simplex Relay...

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by KI4CLZ, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KI4CLZ

KI4CLZ Ham Member

I know this is very possible, not quite sure if anyone has tried it before,
    but would like to arrange, see who would be interested, and really
    seriously do this, regularly... Here locally (EM63) we have a 2M simplex
    net on Sunday nights that has setealdily grown to cover most of the state,
    we have done this in response to the recent disasters that have plagued
    our state, as power failures can knock-out even the best of repeaters, grid
    power being what it is, so our little simplex net draws in most of the state
    and oters as well, through "remote" net controlers, "Hill Toppers" and
    the guy everybody loves with the four thousand element beam....
    but I digress, we have discussed doing this on a national level, but getting enough folks
    together without having committees, donations, and a budget is like
    pullin' teeth... so if your interested, which if you've read thus far you are,
    get on the air on Sunday night and lets see if we can get this done, don't let
    the naysayers stop you, if we can grow from a little net that covered
    Birmingham, to a bigg'un that covers the whole state; you can join us in
    this venture...

Call "CQ Simplex Net"
    on 146.580 FM
    at 10:00 PM CST - 04:00 AM UTC

Come Join us 73's, KI4CLZ

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  2. KJ6ZRK

KJ6ZRK Ham Member

I'll give it a shot but, it's a stretch from just north of San Francisco......

DE KJ6ZRK
    John

3. KB3FXI

KB3FXI Ham Member

Good idea, Josh. The only thing to keep it from working is for good hams to do nothing.

Any thoughts on doing digital modes to extend your reach?

We successfully run MT63 modes with NBEMS/FLDIGI on VHF/UHF FM simplex on weak paths on which voice comms would be impossible. And all you need is a computer with a working speakers and an internal or inexpensive plug in mic. Relays with the digital modes are as easy as cut, paste and send.

-Dave, KB3FXI
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/paNBEMS/

4. KD8RWR

KD8RWR Premium Subscriber

That's just after our HAMARC (look it up) 10m Roundtable. I'll tune to 146.580, and give a cpl. shout out's.
    I'll also pass-on, to my buddy's and HAMARC's club members.

Thank's, for the idea. 73's, -Thom "Caveman" KD8RWR EM79

5. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member

Not going to work out here where I am- some idiot has a repeater output on 146.580!

6. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member

Switching to 2m SSB and horizontal polarity would greatly extend the range.

7. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member

Problem is going to be in states like mine (Wyoming) where the population density of hams is too low. The distance between hams may far and away exceed the capability of 2 meter FM.

Brad

8. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber

Well, it's a stretch, but what the heck. Now all I have to do is remember.

9. KB3FXI

KB3FXI Ham Member

Agreed on the technical aspect, but how many ops to you cut out of the loop by going to SSB?
    -Dave, KB3FXI

10. N9RLO

N9RLO Ham Member

I think it's a fine idea in the tradition of amateur radio. Those old timers back in the spark days were able to relay across the country in a short amount of time. I think 2 meter FM simplex is a good way to try it. It wouldn't be as easy as SSB or digital, but I think that's the point. The bigger the challenge the better. 73, John N9RLO

11. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

I have worked Yuma on 2M ssb. From there sigs could go to Phoenix, then Flagstaff, Gallop, Alberquerque, Tucumcari, Amarillo, OK City, Tulsa, Joplin, Springfield, St Louis, Indianapolis, Dayton, Columbus, Pittsburg, Philly and to the East Coast. Should be possible.

12. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member

This would be awesome to hear nation-wide, and would be perfect for Field Day or similar - a special "simplex multiplier" to get everyone in the game. No committees (outside of ARRL), no additional budget needed and it would be really fun... and everybody is on air, so geographic limitations are less of an issue.

Start it at W1AW and watch it spread across the whole nation. Would be very interesting to see how it spreads across the map!

13. W1YW

W1YW Subscriber

Using NBFM, since the system is not designed for this, you will concatenate noise to the point of losing intelligibility. A digital mode would work.

I think this would be a great experiment for you VHF only techs!

Chip W1YW

14. KE5YOT

KE5YOT Ham Member

Love the idea, I'm in.

15. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber

10 CST... A tad late here with a 4 year old in the house. If I can, I will.

16. W4AMP

W4AMP Premium Subscriber

Back in the heyday of VHF packet in the early nineties you could connect keyboard to keyboard all the way to the opposite coast.

17. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber

And we will all wish we still could if ever the internet goes south.

18. W9WZJ

W9WZJ Ham Member

Two meter SSB is alive and well. Would be a ten minute deal to get a message from Maine to Kansas City MO.

19. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member

Maybe there, but there is near zero activity here. Only during contests or a rare occasion one of the "local" vhf ops come on.

20. AH6QC

AH6QC Ham Member

Aloha from the county if Kauai in the middle of the pacific. Nice idea, however, you're not likely to hear me from Hawaii let alone from a five watt handheld. Keep it up. We have 2 meter simplex nets here in Kauai county on 146.52 simplex monday nights at 7:00pm HST (um, I think that means it would be UTC 0500 tuesday mornings.) Check out the KH6E repeater site at www.kauaiarc.org. Aloha de AH6QC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.