ad: Flexradio-1

TRAM 1180 install and SWR test with SW-102

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KC1BXX, Feb 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC1BXX

KC1BXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a video that I made testing out the Tram 1180 dual band 2m/70cm antenna. I am transmitting on the Yaesu FTM-400 xdr and reading vswr and output power on the surecom sw-102.

Many hams have already expressed their negative feelings on the sw-102, but it is all I have at this time. Some club members have offered to help me with a comparison test video, which will verify the sw-102's accuracy. Look for that video in the coming weeks.

Initial testing has shown the tram 1180 to have consistent power and swr throughout both bands. Power output is 40-46 watts, slightly lower that the Yaesu's advertised 50 watts. My Larsen 2/70 was performing very well on 70cm with high power and low swr, but lacked consistency on the 2m band.

I will keep the tram in place for now, and the Larsen will be used for a future 70cm application. I purchased the tram 1180 new on ebay for $24 with free shipping. It is also available on amazon for a few bucks more.

Keep in mind that this is an initial test, and I will make an update video comparing the long term reliability and performance.

Feel free to ask questions or suggestions.