ad: Radclub22-1

Tour the Russian 'Woodpecker' (DUGA): Featured in CNN Travel News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It will probably be a catastrophic collapse, a typical fate for big antennas:)

To wit:

upload_2019-3-6_21-16-58.jpeg

W7UUU likes this.
  2. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing I could spot was what looked like derelict RADAR mounts (5, possibly 6 of them, spread out across 1,725 feet [1/3 of a mile]), now half-buried in the eroded island surf (would have been on land back in 1979), centered at 25°55'32.42"S 32°41'27.91"E. They seem to be aligned with the 15/23 runway [and don't ask me about those crazy runway headings, they haven't been re-aligned!] of the Maputo International Airport on shore that is 7.1 miles away. Could it have possibly been that the aeronautical RADAR signal just overloaded your front end, and that it was't actually picking up anything in HF? I mean it does make sense for the RADAR signal to make it's way through a 13-inch porthole, and not a HF signal.

AA5CT likes this.
  3. KK4VRE

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point ---> ("Coax, for example, is a waveguide."). NOBODY ...calls... "coaxial cable" "waveguide", it just isn't done.

4. KK4VRE

...Ahhhh, Kansas. Nope, nothing as meek as Dorthy and Toto. Spread all around Topeka.
    ...Just remember, after the Soviets stole the plans for the Space Shuttle, and built 3 Buran's, they then flew one just ONCE. Afterwards they said "*uck this! This thing is way too complicated!" Now 2 are just rotting in a hanger: 45°55'38.82"N 63°17'54.95"E (one of them is only 78% complete, and the 3rd got burned up in another hanger). The Rusky's are indeed ballsy (they even slammed big crap into the surface of the Moon before we got there), just not exactly bright. (but hey, once in a while they have some cool mathematicians from the past ...it's where we got our stealth technology construct from!)
    ...I'm not so sure I concur with you on the use of DUGA. The Ionosphere is a little too unpredictable for that, when success of war is on the line. On top of which the damn thing turned out to be a failure in the end.
    ...Speaking of MT/ND/and WY, I remember just about 26 years ago (in June of '93 when the internet became available) I charted and identified ALL the silos, what wing they belonged to, the control stations, etc; a huge pain in the ass. I still have that data around here some place on a old hard drive. I was using some black & white predecessor to Google earth, maybe 'Terra-Earth' (?), or maybe a earlier program. Nowadays everything is so crisp, but it was a horror back then and you really had to use analytical skills to figure crap out. And then of course they also had missiles moving around on trains, so the Rusky's couldn't target that lot.
    ...Boomers is where it's at, not silos. Perfect mass killing machines.
    ...Uh, yeah, no, the US doesn't have buffalo ...we have bison.

W1YW likes this.
  5. KC4EOE

KC4EOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to drive down just to see this one...

"The Okeechobee, Florida facility is the largest shortwave station in the United States by number of transmitters and antennas, according to the WRMI announcement. It has 13 transmitters, including a dozen 100 kW systems and one 50 kW. It uses 23 antennas that serve the Americas, Europe and Africa."

Attached Files:

• WRMI.jpg
      WRMI.jpg
      File size:
      97.6 KB
      Views:
  6. K6PPT

K6PPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, sure remember those days with the Russian woodpecker on HF.
    Back in the 1980s They really meant business with that type of Antenna array.
    Paul Tretiakoff K6PPT In Sunday Arizona.

W1YW likes this.
  7. M0KNC

M0KNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that is true.. you could force it to QSY if you "matched the frequency of the "chirps" on CW... it would move away from the frequency you were transmitting on ( I guess to "check" if it was a echo or not!) worked every time :)

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Were you cleared for Tempest programs Rege or just read about it?
    I actually worked on those systems at Sanders and later Wang and received a great education in the use of ferrites among other things.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You seem to like to divert ...in this case Madagascar---not sure what this has to do with anything-- no one talked about MADAGASCAR-- and secondly TEMPEST. I am not going to discuss TEMPEST.

And Mozambique is not 'Madagascar'.

The point at hand....

The reality is that an electrically small hole (as described here) ALLOWS RF in and thus the example cited is NOT A Faraday cage .

You need far smaller holes, wavelength wise, to have a Faraday cage.

It is irrelevant to me , and the reality of modern electromagnetics, if that does not meet your knowledge base. There are entire sub-fields now devoted to the control of electromagnetic waves thru sub-wavelength holes.

Its not a career choice people are making based on word-choice. You do myself and many others a profound disservice by imputing fantasy or incompetence , or deception , when you say:

"Do you just string random words together to make impressive sounding reports in your professional career?"

Here is one of many,many references---

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.3633269?class=pdf&journalCode=apl

Kindly spend a few minutes exploring that subject before you insist on dissing anyone who already has that knowledge base. And I believe you owe me an apology.

And check your global map before you place Mozambique on the island of MADAGASCAR.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  10. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I mean it does make sense for the RADAR signal to make it's way through a 13-inch porthole, and not a HF signal."

Chip, acquaint thyself with WGBCO (wave guide beyond cutoff) effects.

You're still mis-using the term Faraday Cage too. Consult any (authoritative) physics text for the correct def.

11. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh. "Radio Guide" hence mil designations e.g. RG8 etc.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The 13 inch hole lets 20M RF in.

Stop playing games.

Thank you.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is NOT my quote. It has nothing to do with my statements.

Do you honestly feel that I do NOT know about waveguide beyond cutoff--and the approximations and assumptions that go into that analysis?

Well, dream on.

Off -topic and will not discuss, other than to state that if you KNOW something is lacking in my knowledge base, then please SHOW it, an do not ASSUME it.

"I saw a huge HF array similar to the one in the photos"--WA3YRE

The example we have been given refers to an (alleged) HF OTHR in MOZAMBIQUE producing overload into a disconnected 20M transceiver, in which the room is enclosed save for a 13 inch hole. Whether such a facility exists, is irrelevant to me. Whether RF could have leaked in is a fact.

That 13 inch hole is capable of letting RF in at 20M wavelength.

Thank you.

14. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Mozambique, Madagascar, makes no difference, there was never such an emitter in either place.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp this was a giant Soviet military industrial complex pork barrel project, that could be jammed by a kid with a hw101?

Rege

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Rege,

You choose to impute me with the odor of doubt, for unknown motivation. It is public and not in any way reasonable.

You have not removed your comment, and owe me an apology.

I am a fact-based guy. That's who I am.

Have a peasant day.

Chip W1YW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.