Total APRS Rookie

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W4DHW, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4DHW

W4DHW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like an APRS setup for my ft-8800 spelled out in dummy terms. What do I need to make it work (TNC, cables, GPS, etc), and where do I find such items?

For the GPS antenna I thought about using a GPS tracker that I could put under my dash (where I have my satellite radio antenna). Good idea or no?

I understand limitations from the ft-8800, but I'd like to try. Something that isn't visible to the passer-by, but still broadcasts my location when I get in the car.

2. W4DHW

Not sure if this would do the trick but was wondering:

TinyTrak3Plus Built and GPS2 Combo

Plug and Play?

3. AJ4FJ

AJ4FJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That should work with the proper cables for the 8800. What I'm not sure about is if that will use one side of the radio for the data while you still use the other side for voice. My Kenwood D710 has the TNC built in and handles that operation beautifully, but I don't know about the 8800.

Here's a link to a KC9AXZ's page on his 8800 with a tinytrak. Looks like he has it working that way, but I didn't study it closely to understand how he did it.

http://www.kc9axz.com/tinytrak.asp

Good luck and 73!
    Greg
    AJ4FJ

4. W4DHW

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's a subjective thing, but is it even worth doing this with a 8800? I mean I can only transmit not receive. Others may try and send a message to me but I wouldn't know, correct?

Any Garmin device that would allow me to see others and be able to transmit to them? Tinytrak4 or an Opentracker +? Just throwing ideas out there as I'm a little confused at the whole APRS thing. Sounds pretty neat, something diff from phone operations.

5. KE7DEI

KE7DEI Ham Member

You can receive.
    http://www.aprs.org/APRS-mobile.ppt look at slide 44 of this presentation.
    There is also a product called HAMhud http://hamhud.net/ I haven't used either one of these I currently have a TH-D7g but I do have a new FT-8800r that I am interested in getting hooked up to do APRS.

6. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

Fox Delta offers a bunch of very reasonably priced kits to do APRS stuff from a simple tracker to a device that can display received info. No experience of them myself except that they haven't replied to a question I posted in their Yahoo group a week ago.

A lot of people just do transmit only position reporting so others can see where they are. If you really want to use the full range of APRS features including two way messaging from a mobile then you really would be better off going for one of the purpose designed radios like the TM-D710 or FTM-350, though people have been known to go mobile with a TNC and laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.