Took 37 years... got "card checked" today for my mixed W.A.S.

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W7UUU, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never was a "paper chaser" - mostly a CW rag chewer for the last 37 years. But long about mid November,
    decided to get my vanity call W7UUU (ex-WB7AWK) and realized I only needed a Delaware card (thanks to our
    own KJ3N for that elusive 37-year card - worked numerous DE QSOs but never got a card until Jim!) to make
    my Worked All States (Mixed) - 80+% are CW so will be an easy endorsement. I really wanted 100% of the
    cards to be in WB7AWK and not any in W7UUU.... was just a personal thing.

Anyway, met today at lunch with Jim, K7ND, our local card checker guy - I was nervous that I'd have something
    wrong - a scratched out PO box or illegible RST or some such - so made sure to only include PERFECT cards for each
    state (except Delaware, of course! Only have one!). Turns out he basically just counted them, first off ("You'd be
    surprised how many times I do this and only count 49 or 47 - no point going further or looking closer!). Then he went
    back through the stack, and just confirmed WB7AWK on each card. That was it! Whew! I just expected more scrutiny
    (not that anything was amiss of course).

So we had a very nice lunch, talked radio for almost 2 hours, and off my form goes to ARRL for my 37-years-to-get W.A.S.!!

I know you "big guns" out there do 50 states in a day in the sweeps - but I'm pretty happy. And I will say I worked 41 states
    (not Delaware!) in the 10-meter contest last month - never did contesting - EVER - before November 2012.

Fun day.

Dave
    W7UUU

2. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member QRZ Page

Just for info: Saturday nite and I've already worked 46 0f the 50 US states on RTTY in only about eight hours.

That's after starting about 1800z, taking more than five hours off to do other stuff, like talk to the XYL, take a nap, etc..

Tomorrow I plan to do it again.

Fifty states is a single week-end? Yeah, and all I use is a wire dipole in a tree, and anywhere between 100-700 watts depending on band.

73 Gary

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL!!! Yeah, I know.... what can I say? I'm a rag chewer - I yakked on CW with a guy in Alaska
    for over an hour this afternoon. Different strokes and all that...

Amazing though - FORTY SIX STATES on RTTY.... wow. Back in the 70s when I had a Western
    Union 23 teletype machine and bulky terminal unit, forty six QSO'S would be a great accomplishment
    in 8 hours - nevermind FORTY SIX STATES!

Good for you Gary... I'm impressed

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

CONGRATS!!!

On your WAS you took some time on it for sure and I really liked the way you did it. I still don't have WAS but only trying causally on 2 bands to do so 6/160m needless to say I have a lot more on 160 than 6m but I keep on trying. I might add all of them are SSB and every one of the 160m contacts have been during the 160m contest.

Find a good place to hang that "Wallpaper" 8>)

5. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Activity has been excellent in the RTTY Roundup thus far. When propagation to Europe opens this morning things should really start 'a crackin..........My only holdouts right now are North Dakota, South Dakota & Wyoming. Nothing new there. :) Great turnout from our friends in MT, VT, DE & RI.

Tom (RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY) KCØW

6. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom,

Nice to work you in the Stew Perry last week-end too!

RTTY has become vary popular in the last decade or so. It's really apparent on contest week-ends where the signals start in what is traditionally CW territory and then continue way up almost to phone territory, especially on bands like 20, 15 and 10 where there is a lot more space.

I made a lot of "Q's" on 15 yesterday, going to concentrate on ten today if condx allow!

73 CU in the test!

Gary WG7X

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I never got WAS from ARRL but may have worked all states over and over, even on 80M, in the last 51 years. I was afraid to send my precious cards to Newington because I have had lots of stuff damaged by the USPS.
    In just the last year I have achieved WAS with E-QSL and the SKCC ! So now I have proof ! :D

8. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sort of off the subject....

During the late 70s, I worked for CW Electronics in Denver. At the time, it was the only amateur distributors within 500 miles. Folks who would stop in from out of town would often leave an eyeball QSL card. One day, I got the idea of putting them into those little plastic holders that used to be popular, and hanging them on the wall. When I got through, I had WAS several times over, and was just one card short of DXCC. I just wish it was that easy on the air!

9. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on your goal.

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Delaware is RARE!!!! Sounds like I need to mount a DXpedtion there to get it on the air for all to work. Maybe I can take a Side trip from Dayton to activate it! Supposedly it is on RTTY today, but so far, haven't come across them. Did work all over the East coast, midwest and EU in the RTTY Roundup. Probably wouldnt get out too well with just some Hamsticks, but if it gives SOME HAMS a new state, it was worth the trip. Then, on to Rhode Island, the next rarest state! ND is easy to work these days thanks to Tom KC0W and the same with Wyoming thanks to Brad KC7YRA!

11. N7SMI

N7SMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked 47 states in this weekend's RTTY Roundup. I missed WY, UT (my own state!!!), and... you guessed it... DE. I worked 13 NJs, 10 PAs, and 5 MDs, but didn't even hear DE. Someone needs to set up a permanent contest DXpedition there.

Thanks Tom (KC0W) for my only ND QSO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.