ad: NADXA-1

Tone generator for a Kenwood TS 700s?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NB4T, May 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. NB4T

NB4T Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for information or possibly a source for a tone generator that would work in a Kenwood TS 700S. Seems all the sources that I have used before have either gone out of business or dried up. Getting this old radio up and going. Everything works , but it would be great to add a PL tone generator.
    Thanks
    Gerald Purvis NB4T

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Look for a Com-Spec TS32 or 64...the company's still in business but I don't know if they still sell these "new."

I see used ones now and then.

3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TE-64, which is no longer available, new. It IS, however an external switched unit. The original internal tone encoder made for the TS-700 is for a single, switch selected frequency. I believe the current com-spec internal encoders are also switch selected, which does not allow simple, easy, or frequent tone frequency changes. The external allows instant switching. YMMV.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, the TS-64 was the best choice as it had a rotary switch tone selector and was enclosed in a nice case -- no need to try to install it "inside" a radio.

I'm disappointed they stopped offering that one, but I do see them "used," and they probably all work. Here's an old QRZ.com listing for one: http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/com-spec-te-64-multi-purpose-encoder.490097/

[​IMG]

6. WA9SVD

Actually, it is the TE-64, not the TS-64. Our Police Dept. got rid of them years ago when they upgraded to new equipment.

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The TE-32 is basically the same as the TE-64 except that it only has the CTCSS tones and not the burst tones as well. Those units were made longer than the TE-64 and should be a little bit easier to find on the used market.

I have one on my old TR-7850 and it works very well. Just insert the CTCSS tone on the wiper of the deviation control in the radio. Then set the tone deviation to no more than 1/10th the total deviation of the unit (typically no more than +/- 0.5 kHz). Since very few repeaters, these days, use the old reed type CTCSS decoders, the tone deviation can usually be set even lower like 1/20th of the total deviation (+/- 0.25 kHz) and there is plenty of tone level to access the repeater.

Do NOT apply the CTCSS tone to the microphone input! That will cause all sorts of distortion to the voice audio.

Glen, K9STH

NL7W likes this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That brings back memories of MANY years ago. As a technician, would set CTCSS deviation for somewhere between 500 and 600 Hz. If between, I called it good enough for this characteristic.

9. WA9SVD

The TS-700 has provision for the a "tone" encoder, but internally dip switched, so you are stuck with ONE tone. I inject just enough tone from the TE-64 into the "tone input" on the connector in the TS-700 to function properly. It's a "mod" that isn't really a mod, and completely reversible.