ad: N2EST-1

Toll roads for tax paying citizens

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KA9JLM, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you think that you should have to pay another road toll to drive to work ?

We have Gas Tax for roads and bridges in Texas.

The lottery was supposed to help roads and schools.

Where do they get off wanting to make a Toll road out of a road that was already paid for with tax payers dollars.

Where is all the money going ?

Is it just me or are we getting a Triple screwing ?

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of that going around.

Like paying a parking meter for use of a paid street.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

There are absolutely no other alternatives to the toll road?

I'd rather have that for turnover if nothing else. If people are paying for their time, they're a lot less likely to sit there and squat the spot while others could make use of it in that time.

4. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the deal. There are only two true end sources of money, the taxpayer and the consumer. So while the consumer has some choice in the matter a taxpayer can only effect change with his/her vote. So it's your money, don't expect others to look after your best interests, buy smart when consuming, vote smart when trying to effect public policy.

5. KA9JLM

The vote seems to do no good.

We voted for a Lotto with the understanding that the money would help our schools and kids.
    They are laying off teachers. That money is on top of the Property tax that we pay.

You pay at the pump for road taxes.

Now you can pay to use the road, That your tax dollar paid for.

Watts up ?

It will be cheaper to fly soon.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time I used toll roads was when I was working in Gary, Indiana.

It cost 15 cents to get on and a quarter to get off, but saved me twenty minutes of travel time.

If I felt ripped by the 40 cents I spent, I would have just took the other (badly maintained) expressway.

7. WA6TKD

When I added all my taxes one year including fed income and payroll taxes, states income and sales tax, property tax, taxes/fees on utilities, telephone, water/sewer/garbage, I estimated that almost 50% of my gross was going back to various governments. Made me a little sick, but I sucked it up and kept on plugging away until my retirement five years ago. However I rarely voted for any tax increases, except for a Cal Veterans home loan bond proposal, which as designed didn't have a net cost to taxpayers in the long run.

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

But what about the services you get for the money paid?

- Military, police and fire protection. Courts and prisons.
    - Roads, highways, bridges, tunnels, streets, etc.
    - Trash collection, sewers, water and other utilities.
    - Public schools and universities.
    - Research and development, the space program, weather service, GPS, and much more.
    - Social Security, Medicare, and similar programs. (Could you retire without them?)

It's easy to complain about taxes; everybody does it. But what about the benefits?

I think the problem is that the costs and benefits are often disconnected. Consider GPS: There are no user fees; anyone can use GPS for free; all it takes is a suitable receiver for you to get incredibly precise position, time, velocity, etc. - anywhere that you can see the sky.

GPS was developed with tax dollars, implemented with tax dollars, and is maintained with tax dollars. I don't know how many dollars, but I'd guess billions so far. And it doesn't run itself; there are ground stations to be operated, and the satellites do not last forever.

Would private enterprise ever have developed and implemented GPS?

73 de Jim, N2EY

9. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Southern California, to use Toll Road , person need to have RFID TAG on their car. I know many people use them, they says it save a lot of time. the cost of using toll road changes depend on time of day and direction.

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not Triple. It's Quadruple. You already paid income tax on that same money. In fact, it's Quintuple, your employer paid business tax on that same money. Oh, wait.. It's not even that simple..

There's an interesting conspiracy theory!

11. WA6TKD

And I didn't really complain too much as I've always thought that was kind of a waste of time. It did make me very cautious about voting for tax increases where they did give me a choice in the matter. Just say no has been my default position.

12. KA9JLM

I don't think you can get on any toll road in Houston for less than $2.00

That is to get on, then you pay again to get off.

I Don't have a problem paying taxes, But the money needs to be spent properly.

I sure don't see where all of the money goes.

13. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sadly because of our spending rate taxes are not high enough as we are running federal deficit and states are laying off people and reducing services.

Transparency of the revenue and spending is not what it should be. I write our elected officials all the time asking for simple published budgets, but hasn't seemed to help any yet......

14. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is why there are toll roads! If enough people vote no on taxes, but still demand services, the money comes from other sources - like tolls.

73 de Jim, N2EY

15. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Look around.

Roads, bridges, tunnels, steet signs, street lights, sewers, police and much more. Medicare, medicaid, SS, SSI, etc. Bailouts for failed banks.

Two hot wars plus the cold war. Plus benefits for veterans and their families.

How much do you think it costs to run just one aircraft carrier? It's basically a small city that floats and has an airport which services very advanced aircraft.

73 de Jim, N2EY

16. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Spend any time in a federal prime or subcontractor, you'll find out very quickly...

;)

17. WA6TKD

At least the GSA team seems to be having lots of fun spending my taxes.

18. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's simple don't pay the Tolls use other roads I'm sure there are several that you can use other than the paid ones.

19. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only Toll Road affecting my lifestyle is the Oklahoma Toll Road between OK City and Joplin, MO. That is about 200 miles of a really nice freeway, and not too pricey (About $8 each way). But if I tried to AVOID the toll road, it would mean 200 miles of 2 lane windy roads that go through countless little towns (all with speed traps). It would probably take TWICE as long to do that 200 Miles without the Toll road. It Sucks but that is the price we hafta pay for a freeway. WHY they can't make it free I don't know. They must want extra bucks. $8 a car must really be RAKING In the bucks! They could pave the road in GOLD!

20. KA9JLM

The problem is they are ALL becoming toll roads.

I just stay home.

They should give local tax payers a break to use them at the least.

Houston collects Millions a day for just 1 road.

This newest toll road that has been free for years is the main route to Mexico, and they are greedy to make money for anyone that uses it.

How many times does a taxpayer have to pay for something ? Over and over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.