ad: Schulman-1

Tokyo Hy-Power Service Manuals

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA2GSL, May 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never used the HL-1.5kFX but did look up the manual available on line and holy crap it's a very complex piece of equipment!

However, all the complexity is in the control circuits, including a frequency counter. A LOT of complexity.

The RF section looks pretty benign with almost nothing to adjust except the PA transistor bias. But that is one seriously sophisticated unit.

2. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: Service manuals:

Presently I'm more of an appliance operator than a ham radio technician. I have nothing to prove any more.

I know of two individuals somewhat locally that are capable of impressively reverse-engineering and servicing complex ham radio gear without manuals. One was/is nuts, in jail or dead, and the other is so busy that he can pick and choose his work as he pleases. You may have seen his videos.

There surely are others that are as capable.

Although I may never require them, the availability of service manuals is a primary factor when I consider a new piece of equipment. In several instances, the lack of a service manual or, at least, service information, has disqualified the purchase of some pretty impressive ham gear.

If I have the gear, I have the technical manual, with very few exceptions.

K1ZJH likes this.
  3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I owned one of these amps, I'd want a service manual also.

There have been several requests for Tokyo HyPower service manuals here since they closed up shop. I don't remember seeing anything show up which I think is a bit weird in this world of instant info.

Let me ping a Japanese friend who is a ham. Maybe he knows someone who serviced these amps and may have a manual to scan.

Hi Taihei. I hope you're well.

Do you know anyone who has a service manual for these amplifiers? We can't seem to find anything here and are hoping that you know someone who can help us out. I would guess that any Tokyo amplifier service manual would be better than nothing!

Hope to hear from you and all the best!

Chris KD2ACO

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. JL1DCA

JL1DCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, Chris.
    It's been a year since we got together in Shibuya, Tokyo.
    The gift power tubes are working robustly in the FL-2100Z.

Then, as regards THP amps, it is regarded their schematics are hard to get as a general rule.
    As you know the company went into bankruptcy many years ago without their business being succeeded. They threw away their business. THP was much smaller a business than those like Kenwood or Yaesu. In other words, they could be not worth counting on admitting their products were good.
    But I have to admit my knowledge about them is very limited, still no further documents would be available other than those by internet, I suppose.

Taihei Suzuki

KD2ACO likes this.
  5. KD2ACO

Thanks for the information!

Those Tokyo HyPower amps sure look nice. It's sad that there isn't a setup cheat sheet somewhere. If anyone finds one, it would be great if they posted it online.

Yes Taihei, it has been over a year already. It seems like last week...

6. JL1DCA

JL1DCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Toshiba "Aurex" SR-370, manual TT, of my current use I got used by internet auction.
    The cartridge is a Denon DL-110, HOMC. I have around 40 LP's so far.
    An IC-RIAA amp is built in under the body of the TT, and the cartridge out is amplified where it is as close as possible to the cartridge pinouts.

Taihei S

Attached Files:

7. WA2GSL

WA2GSL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for giving it a go!

8. WA2GSL

Yes well I got it done and putting out 500 watts at 50 in with gate voltage set at 2.5. The amp worked perfectly in all aspects although I did not try pushing it to max. I went about setting gate current to finalize the repair. Everyone says 250ma as does the data sheet on the 2933. However THP never references current in any of the scant data I can find on PA. They only mention voltage, 2.4 to 3.1. Mine was originally set at 2.75, dead center of the spec on all 4 FET's EXACTLY. So, I got to set the first FET and at 220ma it blows out. Now I know you can match these things but am I to really believe that 4 D sorts made on the same day are so close that they all ended up at 2.75 volts after setting the current? I'd be more prone to believe that THP set the gate voltage at 2.75, tested and all was good. After removing the FET's and testing the voltage on the gate pad I found that in getting to 220ma the pot was set to deliver a voltage higher than the gate can tolerate. So, with my last 4 2933's I'll set the gate voltage at 2.75 and close her up. I'll also install the drain-source zeners that THP eliminated when they went to the THP2933 FET which was probably a 2943 relabeled. A little more gain, a little more rugged but apparently not rugged enough without those zeners to give it some protetcion, at least long enough for the logic in the over voltage protection circuit to trip the amp out.

I think it might have been you who once said to me, the more you play the more you'll learn. It's been an experience, a good one and thankfully not too expensive due to the people who are willing to help out with info and suggestions and me not afraid to ask questions. The more I dig the more it all comes together and I actually understand what's happening and why and sometimes even how. I had to turn this whole FET into a water system with a valve a tank and a drain to understand what the zeners actually did. It's been 8 years since I retired and I haven't used my brain for anything technical since. It's been fun. I WILL FIX THIS!

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. KD2ACO

Now you're speaking my language! :p

P1000978.JPG

10. WA2GSL

My rule usually as well. The deal on this amp though was one you'd not pass up, manual or not. $100.00! And it worked right up until my IC7300 PA board shorted and sent some bad juju down the line. Nobody would touch it at an estate sale, mostly older hams who didn't need one or knew they were out of business. The guy running the sale got pissed off and said, "Will you give me 100 bucks for the damn thing?!!! I'm tired of hearing about the woes of THP and how it's priced too high!" I couldn't get the money out fast enough. Of course if we're buying that for 100 the tuner must be worth only 50. So for 150 the 1.5Kfx and matching tuner. The 7300 was repaired under warranty and it is something they have seen before and they agree it took out the amp. This kind of stuff never happens to me. I just get to hear about it happening to others. The 7300 blowing a gasket and taking out am amp, that's the stuff that happens to me.