ad: AC6LA-1

Tokyo Hy Power Files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W7KEW, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W7KEW

W7KEW QRZ Member

2. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, another manufacturer bites the dust.
    I have to wonder if someone will buy them out and continue making their products.
    I doubt it will interest MFJ however.

3. KF5JOT

KF5JOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be interesting to read if it came up in English rather than Japanese. I didn't see a way to convert it.

4. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Me either and I have some doubts BTW

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Google Translate: http://translate.google.com/#auto/en/http://www.hamlife.jp/2013/12/24/tokyo-hy-power/

6. WA6MM

WA6MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Google Chrome does a fairly good job translating the site posted (not perfect though). Here's a snippet:

"December 25, corporate information site private "JC-NET" was reported debt of Tokyo high power of about 250 million yen, and was in the process of being self bankruptcy filing.

Bankruptcy information Corner corporate information private site of "JC-NET" was to stop the business in December 20, the Tokyo High Power: about 250 million yen debt (Corporate Headquarters Saitama Niiza) I have reported to climb, left to the discretion of the attorney post-processing, and was in the process of being self bankruptcy filing."

7. W7MMQ

W7MMQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is the google translate. Not sure what the clear leaf institute is. It indicates according their website, but no such information is on their website. Maybe through bad translation it is a different company

"Corporate bankruptcy information site for the electric and electronics industry are you breaking the bankruptcy of the Tokyo High Power "clear leaf Institute". Bankruptcy as breaking, I posted the name of Tokyo high-power,

Saitama Prefecture Niiza in the evening December 24.
    Further, according to information from the wireless dealer multiple sources, by any response eliminates the phone from Friday, December 20, response and are gone also send mail or facsimile, the company whose movements was feared.

According to the Web site of the Tokyo High Power, the company founded in Saitama Prefecture Niiza individual companies as "Tokyo High Power Research Institute" in January 1975. The renamed "Tokyo high power" in November 1977. Capital thing with 850 million yen annual sales (4,800 ten thousand yen authorized capital) 12 million yen, and 2007."

8. KF5JOT

KF5JOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Now to translate the translation......;)

9. W7MMQ

It seems upon further research to be traced back to a single Japanese Ham on a blog post. There are no official listings in Japan bankruptcy postings of a company name Tokyo Hy Power.

10. JA1BPA

JA1BPA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is official. They filed for bankruptcy procedure that is similar to U.S. Chapter 7 (not Chapter 11) on December 25th. (What a Christmas surprise!) The company is expected to be dissolved. We do not have any further information, as to whether anyone is interested to assume their existing operation. Japanese hams are saddened to learn the news.

11. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

I too, am saddened by this. I have one of their 2 meter amps, that I bought in the 1980's, and it's still going strong.

12. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's really too bad. I hate to see any company go under.

13. K3LRH

K3LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

......in the US, companies often go bankrupt to avoid their creditors...not necessarily to go out of business. Is bankruptcy different in JA?

14. W7MMQ

They are dissolving and selling assets, so it's the end unless someone here from QRZ wants to pony up

15. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The two ladies in the booth, I could find some work for them if they need it...

16. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm saddened also. They made some pretty good stuff, although pricey.

I think they could have better penetrated the U.S. market if they had ongoing, good and recognized service here.

When I bought my first THP amplifier in about 1988 it was a 350W 70cm solid state amp that was quite expensive (I think about $995 or so, IIRC) but there wasn't anything American made quite like that. It did fail after some contesting and at that time, the way to get it serviced was to send it back to Japan. That's a long trip. Instead, I de-bugged it and fixed it myself, got it going and sold it. But it was pretty cool as it had a thermostatically controlled cooling system and a built-in wattmeter (front panel) which agreed with my Bird, almost exactly. So, those are slick features.

Best engineering in the world with weak local support limits sales.

17. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

On the VHF/UHF amps very little was ever available here and that limited them I think. Pretty big market segment with all the tech licenses.

18. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

He claims that they filed a liquidation type bankruptcy, which doesn't even exist here for corporations, so I suspect not.

I admit that I am a little sad to hear this, although not surprised. Their products are excellent, but they are not price-competitive, and competition can be tough. My limited experience with them are that their amplifiers really have some great features, it's just hard to compete on quality when our markets are so focused on price.

19. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I really did not know much about them but considered their amps to be among the best. I almost ordered their qrp amp a couple of months ago, glad i didnt!

20. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Why? Do you think it would have stopped working on Christmas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.