TNC & other Interfaces

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KA5ROW, Jan 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I plan on getting back into SSTV and a few other digital modes after not doing so for maybe 10 years.
    I just bought a Tigertronics SignaLink USB that goes through the din plug in back.

So what is the difference between the Tigertronics say at $125 vs some of the others that are as high as $299 what can they do the other cannot. Just wondering

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have to check the manual, yet I believe that the SignaLink USB interface does not contain the usual HDLC chipset present in dedicated Terminal Node Controllers such as the Timewave PK-232-DSP nor Kantronics KPC-9612Plus. What this means, is that you use an external program with your interface to produce an AX.25 protocol packet such as would be used for APRS or other systems. The other disadvantage would be the inclusion of SIAM ( this identifies signals and automatically changes modes to accommodate ). While it may be possible to find these features in external programs, you burden the PC resources in doing so. That is why many folks involved in MARS ( Military Affiliate Radio Relay System ) or other types of group communications such as RACES / ARES / CAP used to prefer dedicated Terminal Node Controllers, some of which have the SIAM feature and most all have the HDLC ( packet chipset ) included. The ARRL has published some good books on the subject of Packet and Satellite communications, almost all of which detail AX.25 standards. The software available to add 'outboard' HDLC ( as in on the PC, not in the interface ) is often available for free.