ad: chuckmartin

TM-V71a internal speaker dead

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W0MPM, Oct 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0MPM

W0MPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Working with a used TM=V71A. So far everything seems good except I can not get sound out of the internal speaker. Both external 1 and 2 work. Played with the external speaker mode1 and mode2 settings. Speaker itself looks fine.

Is there some secret setup I'm missing?

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No. If we assume you used a standard 1/8 inch plug, when in reality the jack was 3.5 mm, there is a chance the shorting bar (which reconnects the speaker) was bent out of shape. I can't tell you how many times I have seen that.

KB0MNM likes this.
  3. W0MPM

Probably. It was dead (the speaker) when I got it. But I probably plugged a 1/8" in. The manual sez "The external speaker jacks accept a 3.5mm (1/8") mono plug"

I wanted to get to the jacks but it looks like I would need to pull the boards. Or some boards. Hate to get into that.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you measure the speaker using a ohm meter ?

When the coil smokes open it can still look good.

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Check to see if the speaker's cord is plugged in to the proper place on the board?

6. W0MPM

Sometimes when I'm frustrated by the situation my thinking goes kablooey. (Buying this has been just way more stressful than it needed to be). Yep. 'Just' the speaker's bad. Now. Where to find. And how much.

7. W0MPM

Anyone have the repair manual and can pull the internal speaker part number for a search?

OOPs. Never mind. A number on the back is working fine.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  8. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

You will be much happier with an external speaker anyway.
    Such a big difference.

9. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

See the K0BG post- the jack is far more likely. Yaesu used to make a speaker that was far superior, I believe it was model SP-4. The small red switch for a noise filter made a huge difference in 'listener fatigue' when I listened to my TM-D700a years ago. Your radio shares many of the same features, it was just an earlier build.