tinnitus

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by G0ILN, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G0ILN

G0ILN Ham Member

Hi,
    I have just come back to amateur radio after a ten break. CW is what I love but it does not love me! I do suffer from tinnitus(Ringing in the ears) at a reasonably low level
    my idea was not to use phones just to use a speaker. After two weeks of two or three contacts a day. My ears are ringing probably 50% above their usual level
    and are making life quite uncomfortable.

besides giving up CW has anyone any ideas or does anyone have the same problem?
    Richard G0ILN.

2. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

My ears ring a lot but it is fairly light at this time. As far as tinnitus goes, it is fairly common is it not?

3. BX2ABT

BX2ABT Ham Member

I do suffer from it in one ear only, but so far it hasn't affected me much. I do CW all the time, preferably without headphones, and find that the frequency of the side tone is important. Too high and it induces fatigue, too low is usually too difficult to hear. My TS-440S has a side tone of 800 Hz, but I usually use the RIT to tune it down to between 600 and 700 Hz.

I find that the tinnitus usually increases with stress and being tired. Do you suffer from that as well?

BTW, I would love to have a QSO with you. Still need a '0' call for my FISTS prefix award. Unfortunately the sun doesn't cooperate right now.

4. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member

I have severe tinnitus in both ears - cw is almost impossible though I do it on occasion. That's why the digital modes are my salvation.

5. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member

I read about a treatment where they played a tone the same frequency as the tinnitis at a high level which reduced the tinnitis, so perhaps if you set the cw pitch to the same frequency as the tinnitus you could copy morse and reduce the tinnitus at the same time.

Brian G8ADD

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

I've had that for years.

Love it.

Keeps me from hearing my wife.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Ham Member

Had it for years. It's not continuous, and of course loud noises can get it going, but I usually only notice it at night when trying to go to sleep. I've just gotten used to it. Surprisingly, my Harley does not trigger it, and I ride every day.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

I keep hearing on the radio about a medication called "QUIETUS"
    http://www.quietrelief.com/
    I don't have that problem, but they sure are advertising it.

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

I just love ads that don't give prices. I ignore all such.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  11. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Subscriber

Richard, I have the same problem as a result of Meniere's disease. I have found that it's not so much the pitch of the CW note that aggravates the tinnitus as the volume of the note. Try turning down the AF gain, and see if that helps.

If it happens that you have an undiagnosed case of Meniere's, you may want to reduce your sodium intake. It is widely believed among the experts that too much salt causes or contributes to the ailment (for which there is no known cure). I can tell you for sure that eating a lot of salt increases my tinnitus quite a bit.

12. KD8OUR

KD8OUR Ham Member

JUNK. expensive JUNK. Don't buy it or anything marketed homeopathic. It's snake oil.
    same with head on. placebo might work for some people, but no excuse to rip people off.

Homeopathy goes on a principal of dilution(among other ideas long disproved.), such extreme dilution that isn't even possible. Still shows that people are dumb when it comes to math and power of 10. There are no active compounds in homeopathic remedies. They are often more expensive than legit medicine too.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  13. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member

How about a Code Reader or some other software program to send and receive code?

What did your physician recommend?

14. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member

Sorry to hear that, since you like CW. It gets too bad their is always phone, at least you can still stay in the hobby.

15. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

It's $100 for 60 pills, they're over the counter (homeopathic/herbal remedy) all over the place.

But Henry the Health Hound doesn't like them and thinks it's a ripoff.

He will send you a completely free guide to reducing tinnitus, if you just ask for one (it's a download, you can print it if you wish): http://www.healthhound.org/tinnitus-request.php

16. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber

I have moderate tinnitus and operate CW exclusively. Adjusting the sidetone of the receiver and keeping the volume low helps. Headphones work best for me.

It's similar to having arthritis and riding horses. You just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

17. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber

This will no doubt cause a big uproar, but I'll post it anyway.

I have suffered from tinnitus for years on end, and have even been diagnosed with Meniere's. Well, about 15 years ago, I broke a tooth, and went to a new dentist. His first comment was, you have a lot of tailings. He explained that improperly mixed silver/mercury amalgams used to fill teeth eventually leach into the surrounding gums tissue. I always wondered what caused those black spots. Once the amalgam was removed from the right side of my mouth, the tinnitus on that side subsided, and eventually stopped.

I have just one amalgam filling on the upper left side—the other four were removed, and replace with acrylic material. While I still have some tinnitus in the left ear, it is by no means nearly as troublesome as it used to be. The vertigo I used to suffer badly from, has disappeared altogether!

18. G0ILN

G0ILN Ham Member

Hi all,
    I am quite touched by the level of replys it is nice to know I am not alone with tinnitus problems!
    N4AYZ mentioned sodium levels may affect tinnitus so from today I am giving up Marmite! (Very salty sandwich spread sold in the UK But Yummy!!)

BX2ABT Yes a shame about US –UK contacts I also use a TS 440.
    KC5FM thanks for the tip about a code reader but for me it would defeat the object!

And thanks to every one else who has contributed to this thread.

I use an external speaker and over the last few days have expereanced heavy QSB so in the troughs I have wound up the volume and of course when the signal has come back have been too engrossed to turn the volume back down. So maybe I need some sort of volume limmiting?

Richard.

19. W1RKW

W1RKW Ham Member

Listen to the music of your choice then turn up the volume, perferably with material that has a lot of bass. Exercise the ear drum.

20. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

I wouldn't be so quick to call this junk.
    Like the word "Natural" as applied to food it's meaning is rather broad.
    The only "Natural" that matters is 100% Natural.

The same applies with "Homeopathic" it has been degraded to a marketing term.
    This is most likely a herbal remedy that promotes circulation, and thus healing.

I have found an essential oil that works better than Aspirin for inflammation, it has no side effects other than raising blood pressure two to three points, and it smells good. This has often been called a Homeopathic remedy when it's no more than the oil extracted from a commonly used spice.

No Don't ask;
    If you can't do the homework then don't bother.
    I don't shell out plug and play medicine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.