Threads locked

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W8JI, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Rich,

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight. I am not "technically knowledgeable" on the subjects of amplifiers. I am not an engineer, nor have I ever designed an amp. I am certainly no one's "groupie." I am an extra class licensee with over 52 years in the hobby.

More to the point, I am a moderator who has had it up to here with this "censor" business you keep throwing around.

As I stated before, I don't care who's "right" and who's "wrong." I am a moderator, not a judge. My mission is to keep the threads civil. Nothing less, nothing more.

Bill

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6K:

Unfortunately, when the discussions start getting "personal", then someone has to step in to restore order. So long as a discussion remains civil, and the topic(s) remain technical, then there is no need to close one down. However, certain persons cannot accept any opinions different from their opinion no matter what the subject and then the "barbs" start. Next come actual verbal attacks on various persons having to do with their integrity, experience, knowledge, etc.

There seem to be 3 distinct approaches that enter into certain discussions. Some people can "dish it out" but cannot accept any criticism from anyone. Those people generally start complaining to the moderators that they are being "picked upon" even though the particular individual has definitely contributed to the problem. Then, there are those who don't complain to the moderators, instead, they go into an advanced attack mode making all sorts of verbal attacks on those who disagree with them. Finally, there are those who try to keep things on a even keel, only trying to discuss the subject in an adult manner.

It is most certainly possible to disagree with someone and yet retain that person's respect. But, certain individuals cannot constrain their displeasure and therefore start attacking the person, or persons, who dare to disagree.

I have said it numerous times before, and will probably say the same thing again (many times), that when someone is participating in a "heated" discussion, that the "someone" should write his/hers response. But, do NOT immediately upload that response. Walk away for a few minutes to "cool down". Then, come back and read what they have written. Next, revise the text to get the "point across" but not in such a way as to antagonize the situation further. Finally, upload the message.

By having a "cooling down" period and revising the message, one can certainly "get their point across" in a manner which will calm the situation and not "throw gasoline on the fire". Also, by doing this, it is certainly possible to retain the respect of others and yet allow for a dissenting view.

There are individuals who are participating in these discussions who have been banned from various E-Mail reflectors for personal attacks, who have been given a "time out" here on QRZ.com, and so forth. Some persons have learned their lesson and some have not.

Certain topics always degrade into name calling and other personal attacks. Therefore, in order to retain any sense of order the moderators lock these threads and, in a very few situations, actually delete the thread from public view. There are sites, as well as certain E-Mail reflectors, Yahoo groups, etc., that have no moderation. If the owner, etc., wants a free-for-all, then that is fine. If the owner, etc., wants a site that refrains from personal attacks, misinformation, and so forth, then that is fine as well.

Internet forums are NOT subject to unlimited comments, personal attacks, etc., if the owner does not want that kind of activity. Some site owners don't care and "anything goes". Some site owners do have limits on what is posted on their site. When there are limits anyone who participates on the site has to abide by the "rules of the road" set forth by the owner as enforced by the moderators.

"Free speech" is NOT guaranteed on the Internet. In fact, many people do not understand just what entails "free speech". There definitely are limits as to what someone can say, write, etc., without repercussions. As for QRZ.com, it can be better imagined as a benevolent dictatorship rather than an "anything goes" site. AA7BQ, the owner of QRZ.com has set forth certain parameters for participating in the discussion on the site. People are allowed to present their ideas so long as the following general "rules of the road" are observed:

No profanity

No obscenities

No personal attacks

No general political discussions. Political situations, i.e. laws, that directly affect the Amateur Radio Service are allowed.

Frankly, keeping any sense of order on a site with literally thousands of users each day is a daunting task. The commitment in time that each moderator has to make is astonishing and none of them receive any monentary compensation. However, they do receive a lot of criticism from those who do not like to obey the "rules of the road". It gets to the point where keeping the peace on QRZ.com can severely reduce the time needed for other activities. These are not facts that I have imagined because, for over 10-years, I was the head moderator here on QRZ.com. Several months ago, due to business commitments, I retired. Needless to say, things are a LOT more peaceful these days!

Glen, K9STH

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And with that, time to move along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.