Threads locked

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W8JI, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 Is making a statement about something being "Off Topic", itself off topic? Hmmm. . Is questioning whether something is or is not off topic also off topic?

IME, the only kind of moderator/censor that is qualified for technical donnybrooks is one that is technically competent - and the AMPS contesting.com group was fortunate to have had one. As I recall his name was Hellenberg (?).
    . Free, unsolicited advise to young whippersnappers: When you detect that a censor has a covert agenda or that he can be sold specious reasoning, run, don't walk to the nearest exit.
    • Rich, ag6k

2. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 Indeed Sue, and reasoning with control freaks is something one should not do.
    • Rich, ag6k

3. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 Indeed, but the sound one hears through metal and glass is hardly a big-bang, it's more of a tink. Have you ever heard an anode-grid arc inside a vacuum tube that made a big bang?
    • Rich, ag6k

4. G0HZU

G0HZU QRZ Member

That's all very true Tom :)

But..... as I said in the simulation thread you can adopt two approaches. You can take the complicated road and try and produce a monster simulation of a typical commercial valve amplifier complete with a hideously complicated (futile?) 'attempt' to COMPLETELY model a triode valve.... or you can sit back and look at the bigger (actually simpler) picture and analyse a particular behavioural problem of said amplifier and reduce it to sound RF fundamentals.

SOMETIMES when you do this you hit the jackpot and discover the problem involves extremely SIMPLE analysis to master and you realise that the hideously complicated tube isn't the bad guy.

When this happens you can replace the tube with a simple model and chase the real 'bad guy' and in the case of suppressor theory the bad guy is the real world physics of the tank circuit.

Maybe this sounds like I'm ducking the issue here and maybe that's why we aren't appearing to agree. My goal isn't to try and master a comprehensive model of a tube.

I'm trying to help everybody through using basic RF fundamentals understand WHY the parasitic suppressor is needed for a particular behavioural problem of the whole amplifier SYSTEM.

Because the physics behind the root cause of the instability is so simple we can use really simple RF modelling to master the issue.

That's the basis of my position on this subject :)

5. G0HZU

G0HZU QRZ Member

Can we move over to the the unlocked simulation thread?

I've pasted my latest reply above across to it

6. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

You will find I am always willing to be 100% cooperative with behavior on forums. If I am ever out of line, all someone has to do is tell me and I will correct my misbehavior.

My goal in this forums is to help educate people, and to learn things myself in the process. That always has been my goal, and it always will be.

I have enough money and enough income, and enough real good friends, that I need nothing else from anyone. I don't need to sell anything, or take anything, or promote any agenda. It's all about helping people and getting smarter myself in the process.

73 Tom

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

More importantly, when the interchange of ideas ceases to be productive.

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy to help , with poking fun :)
    One of these days I hope to learn enough to discuss either side of an issue like this .
    I missed the thread that this one came from , and hope to pick up some knowledge from the discussion , thanks to all providing the technical debates .
    My ideal is not to take sides , but to understand all perspectives .
    Meanwhile , dull stick back in hand .

9. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 The argument has been made by the powers that be that heated discussions reduce readership. Two of the recently censored threads on this discussion group have a total of 5694 reads.
    • Rich, ag6k

10. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 I agree. What is necessary to launch destructive VHF parasitic oscillations is so simple - and so is the way to stop them -- i.e., reduce VHF amplification stupid. Looking back I could do a better job of writing the three articles on parasites knowing what I know today.
    Rich, ag6k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.