Threads locked

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W8JI, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are threads that are on topic and educational getting locked? I understand some posts appear that are personal in nature, and not educational and on topic, but why not remove or prohibit the nasty posts rather than throwing away an otherwise useful and educational discussion??

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the mods have a quota to fill.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. G0HZU

G0HZU QRZ Member

I agree :)
    I guess a few nasty posts appeared since I was last on that thread. I did ask if it could remain polite :)

I put a lot of thought into Tom's recent thread and I believe I have a lot to offer the forum on the subject of modelling RF circuits for behavioural problems. I'm offering my time and knowledge for free and it is frustrating to see my input get locked.

Of course, I don't claim to hold all the answers as I know very little about valves and will therefore make lots of mistakes and I'm quite comfortable with making mistakes as long as I (and everybody else) learns along the way. The goal is better understanding for all.

I'm writing a (helpful?) paper on anode suppressors and I'd like to have it peer reviewed (for any mistakes LOL) and at the moment it appears to be a waste of time me finishing it...

4. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. VK6ZGO made some valid points concerning equivalent circuits and black box modelling. It is a shame that the discussion
    was ended before anyone could respond.

Pete

5. G0HZU

G0HZU QRZ Member

I missed VK6ZGO's extra input. Was it removed?

Did he answer my mystery black box question? The solution is a really simple one. You really don't need to see inside the 2 port box to model it even if contains a 20 node lumped network with wires and even the odd transmission line.

The (<5 minute) model on a computer will show the correct insertion loss for the box across LF to UHF and will show the correct impedance response on a smith chart right up to UHF even if the smith chart response looks so complicated it looks like a child scribbled the response at random with a pencil.

The solution to the modelling of a mystery box is decades old and widely known to RF engineers but these days with powerful computers (often built into RF test equipment) any RF engineer can get the accurate (linear) model of said black box onto a computer in less than 1 minute.

If I sound like a tease then hey it's Christmas/New Year so think of it as a quiz challenge :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, he responded to your black box post. His is the last post in the locked thread. If you look at the simulation thread that
    was locked, you will see his callsign shown as the last poster.

Pete

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have to add my concern as well.
    Two of the threads were very educational in nature and I was looking forward more on the subject.

The first thread that was locked then unlocked was very stimulating and motivated me to read just about everything there was worth knowing on that subject.

Just wondering.

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I end up finding lots of locked threads , many as a result of Google search .
    Then other complain of not searching for what ever question there are asking , why bother with searches if we can not interacted with the thread .
    Many times , a different perspective needs an answer , from another point of view .
    But then on the devils advocate side , it could be a way to mange all of the posts ?
    Still , I hang out here too much :)
    Otherwise I would be running out in the streets with ERV and that doggie in the window , then I'd really get in trouble :)

9. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles ,
    Now you've got all the regular trouble makers showing up , like Sue etc.

10. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sue is not a trouble maker. There is nothing wrong with a disagreement and everyone is entitled to an opinion. As bizarre as some ideas might be, there is nothing wrong with it. The problem arises when personal attacks come from the disagreements and name calling and all the rest that comes with it. It seems that when everyone is talked out the only thing left is to attack ones credibility, that is when it turns nasty and threads are locked. I'm sure if things stayed on topic and remained civil, I doubt the moderators will lock them up. I suppose one needs to know when to stop argueing. I suggest that some of you read the "serenity prayer". If you know it, heed it, if you don't read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.