This is my transmitter.....with apologies to Marines everywhere.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KA4KOE, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my transmitter.
    There are few like it but this one is mine.
    My transmitter is my best friend.
    It is my voice.
    I must master it to maintain the respect of my peers.
    Without me, my transmitter is useless.
    Without my transmitter, I am useless.
    I must tune my transmitter precisely.
    I must heat up my coax more than the sidebanders who seek to invade our holy band allocations.
    My transmitter and I know that what counts is not the luster of our knobs, the span of
    our audio, nor our modulation index.
    We know the path to happiness lies via pure unadulterated power.
    We will strap.
    In memory of Edwin Howard Armstrong, I make this solemn promise.
    My transmitter and I stand ready to repel the slopbucket invaders.
    We stand together as brothers and sisters dedicated to AM.
    Let our technical excellence and static-killing signals stand as a beacon to all.
    Long Live AM!!

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hm... Armstrong was primarily made famous for making FM practical.
    Maybe Reginald Fessenden, Valdemar Poulsen, Ernst Alexanderson, Alexander Meissner or Loy Barton contributed more to the earliest AM technology.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

3. KA4KOE

Armstrong invented the oscillator, the regenerative receiver and the superheterodyne. Without these three inventions all else is for naught. He is my favorite of all the inventors. It is sad he is not more well known. Read "Man of High Fidelity" if you can find a copy.

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

KOE:

Sorry, but Armstrong did NOT invent the regenerative receiver. It was invented by DeForest. Armstrong's patent was voided, by United States courts in favor of DeForest. DeForest had several receivers in use on "banana boats" that used the regenerative circuit (model RJ-4).

There were regular meetings, of persons interested in wireless, at DeForest's apartment in New York City and Armstrong was a regular participant. DeForest's circuit was discussed at several of those meetings. It was true that DeForest did not completely understand how the circuit worked but he did employ the regenerative circuit in his receivers. Armstrong did understand how the circuit worked and then patented the circuit. However, when sued by DeForest, Armstrong's patent was voided.

Because of the voiding of his regenerative patent, a fair number of people doubted that Armstrong invented things like the superheterodyne receiver and even the FM circuits that he patented. Whether or not that was true is really unknown. However, Armstrong is, generally, recognized for inventing things other than the regenerative circuit.

Glen, K9STH

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most people agree that Armstrong did invent the regenerative receiver, regardless of the supreme court decision. Most people agree that the SC did not understand the arguments placed before it in that case.

DeForest had some interesting predictions: (from Wikipedia)

"So I repeat that while theoretically and technically television may be feasible, yet commercially and financially, I consider it an impossibility; a development of which we need not waste little time in dreaming." 1926

"To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth—all that constitutes a wild dream worthy of Jules Verne. I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances." 1957

"I do not foresee 'spaceships' to the moon or Mars. Mortals must live and die on Earth or within its atmosphere!" 1952

"As a growing competitor to the tube amplifier comes now the Bell Laboratories’ transistor, a three-electrode germanium crystal of amazing amplification power, of wheat-grain size and low cost. Yet its frequency limitations, a few hundred kilocycles, and its strict power limitations will never permit its general replacement of the Audion amplifier." 1952

W7UUU likes this.
  6. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the very fertile field of early electronics, a lot of "prior art" was formed.

The Armstrong superheterodyne builds on prior disclosures by Round, Lévy, Meissner and Schottky that independently devised the oscillating, mixing and amplification circuits necessary for a superheterodyne circuit.

Even before electron tubes, Fessenden and Alexanderson proposed the heterodyne detector, and Alexanderson even made a patent application for multi-carrier telephony repeater using his alternator and mercury-vapor rectifiers for the local oscillators and mixers/detectors.

The remarkable is that this was done before any electrical modulation theory had been formulated.

Modulation theory and "beating" including sideband generation was touched on in Baron Rayleigh's "Theory of Sound" from the 1870's.
    The major difference was that sound waves were the subject, but the mathematics were the same.

It is well-nigh impossible to point at any single inventor of the basic circuits necessary for making early "hollow-state" radio.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 6:01 PM
  7. KA4KOE

I disagree with you Glenn. Read "Man of High Fidelity". Sure, he lost in the courts over what amounted to a technicality, but his professional peers in the Radio Club of America believed he had been robbed. He even tried to return the medal with which he was presented for his discovery, but the Club refused to accept it back. DeForest was generally regarded as a scoundrel in any event. I also recommend you read the book "Empire of the Air" and watch the PBS video of the same name.

Anyway, we will never agree on this point. Armstrong is one of my professional heroes and that's why his name is included in my attempt of humor by paraphrasing the "The Rifleman's Code". I never intended this post to devolve into a discussion of who was first at what. I admire Armstrong and that is why his name appears; plain and simple. I've written articles on both Deforest and Armstrong.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 6:55 PM
  8. KA4KOE

9. KA4KOE

Tweaked it up a bit...

upload_2017-11-14_14-24-19.png

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

That should give us our fill of Ham Radio poetry for a while. We'll have to soon brace ourselves for the inevitable 2017 HR versions of 'Twas the Night Before Xmas that will begin to circulate on various amateur radio websites, magazines and newsletters. :rolleyes:

DeForest had somewhat of a reputation as a scoundrel. He was more a tinkerer than an inventor; he discovered many if not most of his inventions, the Audion for example, by trial-and-error with little understanding of how they worked. But what counted was that he was able to beat others to the patent; he got the award, letting someone else refine and perfect the device and figure out the theory of operation.

N6YW likes this.