ad: SOTA-1

This homebrewer's lament.....

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KC2SIZ, Jun 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KH2BR

KH2BR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K5UOS

K5UOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Appearance of a homebrew project is a personal thing. I don't see why it matters what a project looks like. So many projects are just experiments.
    The real beauty is in the circuit and in the rigs ability to function as designed.

I use what I have at hand for most cases and re-purposing an ugly old chassis is something I do all the time. I have one small chassis that i have built several projects on.
    Started as a 20M transceiver but has been a hetrodyne VFO, a 10M transmitter and a few other things I don't remember.

My first tube transmitter was a converted regenerative receiver. My first receiver, a regenerative, was built on a Heathkit transmitter chassis. Very ugly but lots of fun.
    Still have them and they may become something else some day.

You might enjoy the "beauty" of this fellas homebrew designs and projects. I have seen his work for the last 30+ years. I have built some of his circuits. Many recycled chassis, knobs and parts.
    Is it all state of the art? Maybe not all but his philosophy is what I consider a true representation of amateur radio homebrew.

OP SIZ - It would be fun to see some of your projects.

http://neoanderthal.com/wa7mlh.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen.

WA7MLH's work is best appreciated by a close inspection under the hood.

5. K5UOS

6. K5UOS

Good comment. MLH is a very unique man. One of a kind.

7. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't often disagree with you Don, and maybe I'm not really disagreeing now so much as what I'm about to say is somewhat personal. But, for me, appearance matters with respect to my own taste, If it is something that I'm going to use, "I" have to like how it looks. Now, what is beautiful is absolutely in the eye of the beholder, but, I've taken to trying to create, what I like to call, photogenic projects. I'm also forcing myself to take pictures of things and putting them on my blog. It is helping me to get things done.

So, I feel the OPs lament. It's not necessarily about being competitive, but, it's about creating things that you're happy with for yourself. I have no shortage of ugly projects mind you, I'm just trying to get out of the habbit of "half-assing" some aspects of the workmanship and justifying it to myself by saying that it doesn't matter.

Like anything there's a sweet spot and I like to go for the Pareto point where I get 80% of the result for 20% of the effort.

8. K4VLF

K4VLF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was pleased to find that my local printing shop can make vinyl front panel stickers for around 20 bux or so (if I do the artwork),

9. K5UOS

I don’t disagree with you at all. Making something look nice is a admirable. Appearance just not something I feel is a major aspect of a project.

Everyone is different in how they approach home brewing.

Love all my projects. Even the ones that didn’t work so well or look so nice.

I don’t have pictures of many of all my projects. Some look pretty nice because I tried to make nice looking.

This is a signal generator I built for building crystal filter. I wanted it to look nice.

[​IMG]

This is a tube transmitter I wanted to look nice:

[​IMG]

This is a 15W tube audio amp I wanted to look nice:

[​IMG]

This never got any prettier. It is a mixing VXO experiment using a dual gate mosfet. I had a 28.253MHz crystal on one gate and a 21.06MHz crystal on the other gate. Using a simple variable capacitor
    the output could vary about 35KHz. I used a triple tuned band pass filter in the drain to clean the other mixing products. It tuned about 7.23MHz to 7.195MHz. It was going to be used in a DSB rig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you!

AB8RO says it best, IMHO: "

AB8RO: "But, for me, appearance matters with respect to my own taste, If it is something that I'm going to use, "I" have to like how it looks. Now, what is beautiful is absolutely in the eye of the beholder, but, I've taken to trying to create, what I like to call, photogenic projects. I'm also forcing myself to take pictures of things and putting them on my blog. It is helping me to get things done.

So, I feel the OPs lament. It's not necessarily about being competitive, but, it's about creating things that you're happy with for yourself. I have no shortage of ugly projects mind you, I'm just trying to get out of the habbit of "half-assing" some aspects of the workmanship and justifying it to myself by saying that it doesn't matter."