The value of internet spotting

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K1TGX, Mar 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tune for DX most of the time, unless I am engrossed in something, nearby the radio, such as replying to posts on QRZ.com, but cannot give the radio my undivided attention. Then I will glance at the monitor that is dislaying my logging software and see if anything interesting is happening, from time to time.

What you said about some guys just wanting to make a couple of longer contacts, as opposed to running in pileup fashion is true. If I find someone calling who has not been spotted, and it sounds as though he wants a couple few more callers, I'll ask him first, before just spotting him. Some guys are grateful to be spotted. Others decline, and thank me for asking them first because they'd prefer to remain low-key.

2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Internet spotting has its pluses and minuses. It's nice to get a quick glance of what's going on.. where the band might be open to. If something you're looking for pops on you know where to find it. On the flip side.. if it's something a lot of others are looking for, it generates a large pileup with the spotting. It's great to discover something before they get spotted.. usually only a handful of stations calling. You try to work them before they get spotted.. before the chaos begins. I do a combination of both.. listening around and using the clusters.