ad: Schulman-1

The Ultimate SDR Radio Order!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not questioning your judgment or trying to start a flame war here, but an obvious question: Why, in your opinion, do these particular radios constitute the "ultimate" SDR ham radio station? Other vendors - Flex, Elecraft, Kenwood, and Yaesu are all brands that come to mind - also make good SDRs. What is it about these that motivated you to choose them? And why both the IC-7300 AND the IC-7610, when the 7300 is very similar (though with fewer features and lower A/D resolution and dynamic range on its single receiver)? Finally, what about outdoor components, such as antennas, remote tuners, etc.?

K2NCC likes this.
  2. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Laurence, I didn't say it was the ultimate SDR ham radio station, the title says, "The Ultimate SDR Radio Order!", as I ordered 3 expensive SDR radio at the same time. I also own an Expert Electronics MB1 that is a wonderful SDR. So this statement was as a video title in order to trigger the curiosity of the viewers. Please watch the video completely as I explain why I bought these radios. For the rest of my gear please take a moment to visit my YouTube channel, you will find that it's not only about radios, but accessories as well. You will also find my SteppIR UrbanBeam video series, the assembly to the installation. 73 Pascal VA2PV

https://www.youtube.com/c/laboenligneca1/videos

K4AGO, W6CBG and K0UO like this.
  3. KM4ZDM

KM4ZDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful setup!! Icom dream team. Your missing the crown jewel 7851. Maybe you can get one for the Holidays and really piss off the haters. Having a 7300 and 7610 is not redundant. He could be using the 7300 on FT4/8 and using the 7610 for CW, making real QSO's, or listening to a net. As for all the haters - who pissed in your cheerios? People are brand loyal or think what they own is either sufficient or the best made. Icom makes great gear and there is no denying it. Personally own a 7610 and feel they are leading the way out of the big three. No model is perfect. There are many aspects that make a radio great to operate. Operating procedures, menu driven vs touchscreen, Knobs vs software, connectivity, aesthetics, performance, and the list goes on an on. All personal preferences.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    K4AGO, N0SLT and VA2PV like this.
  4. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger that. I've had many high end radios and SDR receivers over the last few years and ya know what? About a month ago I dumped all of it and went back to an old, trusty Yaesu FT-747gx circa 1989. Good performance and enough features to get me there. Its refreshing!

VA2PV and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-7610 is going to force all your other radios to the side. :)

N3FAA and VA2PV like this.
  6. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Except when I'm out in the field, I prefer to carry the IC-7300, hihi. 73 Pascal VA2PV

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All in the family. :)

Congrats on the awesome incoming radios!

VA2PV likes this.
  8. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sacre Bleu ! C'est Magnifique !
    Hope you tip the Mail Man at Christmas ! :cool:
    Enjoy Mon Ami !

G3SEA/KH6

VA2PV likes this.
  9. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

And just think you could have had a 19 set like I did, I know there are lots of them in Canada!

VA2PV likes this.
  10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nice going ! Look forward to your reviews and exploration.

VA2PV likes this.
  11. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 7300 makes an excellent field day, SOTA, POTA, IOTA rig. Compared to most QRP rigs it has a high RCV power draw of 0.9A, but I don't find that to be limiting for casual operating with a Bioenno 20AH LiFePo battery and panel. Paired with an LNR end-fed quad , a Portable Zero pack and carry handles it's a great portable setup. Everything fits inside or strapped to the pack.

And if you want 100W you've got it plus a band scope and tuner.

VA2PV likes this.
  12. N0SLT

N0SLT Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW , just Wonderful . I am a Icom fan as well . Having a IC 746 and 7300 . Waiting for your IC 9700 review . I can only dream . 73 Steve N0SLT

VA2PV likes this.
  13. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Software Defined Radios do not imply or require external computers or I/Q ports, video screens, keyboards or a mouse. More and more radios with traditional format will incorporate SDR technology in the future.

K4AGO and VA2PV like this.
  14. WE7BY

WE7BY Ham Member QRZ Page

You learning curve will be interesting. Please let’s us know how it goes. Cheers and congrats!

VA2PV likes this.
  15. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice setup, you don't owe anyone an explanation about your purchases. Your entire station still cheaper than a new Harley-Davidson or bass boat, lol.

AC2RT, K4AGO, VA2PV and 1 other person like this.