ad: M2Ant-1

The ULTIMATE GOKIT VERSION 4!

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Work Pat.
    :)

2. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some things in life are just about the process and the build. There are a lot of things amateurs do that i have little interest in, or wonder why would you, but they seem to be enjoying themselves and that is all that matters. Now if you need a go kit, WA6MHZ seems like a nice guy and he has 4 of them. HEHE

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

During Disasters, like Firestorms which are common here in San Diego, My GoKits are ready for use by Hams who need them. They are welcome to use them as long as they return them after the event and don't blow them up! In fact the SAN DIEGO ARES OFFICIAL GO KIT was built by me back in the 90s!! It is frequently used in Hospital drills and operating events. Still works great after all these years!
    Guess I am the Official GOKIT builder for the Section!

K9ASE and AF6LJ like this.
  4. WA6MHZ

Today, I am thinking about installing an internal battery in this unit. I have plenty of 28 and 53AH Gel Cels which will run these indefinitely, but they are too heavy to install internally. Have yet to find a suitable container to hold these. Yes, they are THAT HEAVY!!! I had one in a nice projector bag, but someone ripped it off. won't fit in a tool box. They are about 7x7x7 and weigh a good 20 to 40 pounds!! Monster batteries!!! In the UGK3 I used a nice 12AH I found at the San Diego Hamfest for $12!! I would be lucky to find one again for TWICE the price!!! If the boss doesn't come in, I will sneak over the battery store near Gillespie field (SUE knows this place all too well) and see what they have in stock. I have an area about 7x7x4 in the case. lets see what will fit

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. AF6LJ

Very Cool...
    Having an equipment bank to draw upon in time of emergency is a good thing.

6. WA6MHZ

since the boss wasn't in today, I snuck over the battery place and scored a new battery, BRAND NEW!!!
    this is a 12AH just like in the UGKVER 3, but it was much pricier!!! They got $30 for this compared to $12 I paid at the swapmeet. Then I went over to Murphys and got a Fuse holder and a big microswitch rated at 15A
    19875361_10155308620184927_2744953008040934732_n.jpg
    lotsa metal work ahead. I made brackets to hold the battery securely in place and installed the Microswitch so that a tab I installed on the top lid causes the Battery circuit to go open. This means though i have to open the case to charge it. Well, same thing with UGKVER 3. But atleast I will never drain a $30 battery!
    19944419_10155309000569927_8536888714083872547_o.jpg
    OK, maybe I will take it to the ARES meeting tomorrow and see if anyone is impressed

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. WA6MHZ

They also had a 14 AH in the exact same package style and size for $10 more. I saved the $10 so I can have dinner tonight.
    One issue is that the FAN in the PS runs when I am on battery power. No way to disable it as it is all in parallel with the battery. Guess I could put a BMF DIODE in the + Power Supply lead, but it would hafta handle 15A! Thatsa big diode!!!

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. AF6LJ

Coming along well...
    Tomorrow it is off to breakfast, things Roommate and I have to do, then Fry's electronics, followed by HRO for a couple of lengths of coax.

9. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a suggestion, and I get the "building something" bug - I get it myself.... if you have 4 sitting at your house, that might not be the best place for a resources that you want hams to have in the area... might be better to distribute them so they can be used in the event of an emergency. If Crest was evacuated when you were at work, you couldn't get to them.

Just a suggestion...

10. WA6MHZ

I should keep them here at work, but we never know how long it will be before the doors are padlocked shut. Things are going downhill here fast.

AF6LJ likes this.