ad: TiltPlate-1

The ULTIMATE GOKIT VERSION 4!

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Here on QRZed we have seen the transition of VER1, 2 and 3. They were magnificent devices.
    #1 had a Yaesu FT-857D installed \
    #2 had a Icom IC706MK2G and a Yaesu FT-7900 R, and a SIGNALINK and KPC-3
    #3 had a Kenwood TM-G707A matched with a RC-D710A for Winlink

All 3 are still in service.
    #1 remains a classic, but mainly for HF
    #2 was the overkill device of all time!!
    #3 was used on Field day and the May ARES HOSPITAL Drill as the worlds biggest Handy Talkie.

So when a good friend called up and asked me if I wanted another GOKIT, I balked abit but gave in, and Last Saturday, Sue and I went over and got it.
    He had done a wonderful job on it. It was in the standard fliptop Harbor Freight case. This was built in the 90s and has a Yaesu FT-8800 and KPC-3 installed.

IT weighed a ton, so when we got back to the Radio Hospital it was time to investigate what it contained.

Here is a pic of some of what it contained
    20170705_163144.jpg
    Most of the weight was the 90s era 600W inverter. There was also a battery charger, a duplexer, an early LED light strip, and a big hinge

So all this was mounted on a PEGBOARD

20170705_162918.jpg
    On the top of the pegboard is velcro that held the radio and TNC down and the HINGE held the display for the 8800!!! As we can see the BIG INVERTER was held on with bailing wire!!!

OK time to tear it apart
    20170703_091100.jpg
    First the radio and TNC were checked out. All looks OK!!
    then the case was gutted
    20170702_133048.jpg
    At HRO I bought a 2 section Power Pole chassis mount and a barrel flange mount SO239. The barrel was mounted in the upper left hand corner of the case for antenna mounting and the powerpole in the side of the case. near where the AC Outlet was.
    The reasoning behind the AC outlet and Inverter was he used a nice dot matrix printer with it back then.
    Well, this is 2017 and we can do without the printer! After all, we now have WINLINK EXPRESS. Back then they used a program called AIRMAIL

So I mounted the 8800 on the bottom of the case with the KPC-3 piggy backed to it. The display was mounted over the speaker in the lid. I fashioned some L Brackets to hold the rig down and plates to hold the KPC-3 in place.

NOW the GOKiT was being modernized!!!

Previously, a battery was jumpered to a WATTS UP device and then on to the RIG RUNNER 5 position PowerPole unit. THose were saved and reinstalled.

Then came the big error!!! I was under the MISTAKEN IDEA I could switch around the WATTS UP to monitor battery and rig current. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It seems the Current is measured in the NEGATIVE Lead of the WATTS UP!!!
    Meanwhile I had built a spectacular switch box that would do the switching.
    20170703_143539.jpg

This was all torn apart and I ate the $21 i spent in parts on it. RATS!!! Maybe I can use the parts in another project, though the nice expensive plastic case is all swiss cheesed now!!!

So on we continued, deciding that the WATTS UP will just display rig current.
    Coming in from Amazon today were the final parts needed to build it.

A nice 20A 12V Switching Power supply
    A FTDI USB cable to RS232
    And a AC IEC connector with the Fuse and Switch!

I spent all afternoon assembling it, but to my GREAT DISMAY the power supply sat there and toggled on and off. WTF???
    Did the clowns ship me a NFG Power supply???
    I tore it out of the unit and was preparing to send it back when I suddenly noticed the 110/220V switch was in the 220V position.
    I changed that to 110 and VOILA!!! It worked great!!!
    this will charge a gel cell and run the rig at full power.
    so here are more pix
    20170705_160257.jpg

20170705_160308.jpg
    The UGK4 was bench tested with a 28AH gel cell and all is wonderful!
    20170705_160319.jpg
    So now I need to mate it up with my Laptop and get it all programmed up for WINLINK!
    WHY DO I NEED 4 GO KITS??
    Cuz they are fun to build!!!

AF6LJ and K9ASE like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

There is room for a 7AH gel cell under the power supply. I might install one of those too. Or maybe a 12AH like in UGK version 3

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a good thing men are so good at multi tasking. Now you can be in 4 places at once and have qso's with yourself ;)

4. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

Pats wife and two cats can now have their own Gokits. Gotta be prepared. ;)

5. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you building this for you, or someone else? And, if this is for you.... why on earth would someone need FOUR go-kits?!?

I have none... :D

Steve
    KV6O

6. WA6MHZ

It's just FUN to build!!! I don't care what I build, I gotta build something, and this GO KIT was the PROJECT DU JOUR of the day

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. WA6MHZ

I am always looking for something to build. It is my Creativity. Since they don't have any work for me here at work to do, I might as well build instead of surfing Facebook and Ebay. Building gives me great satisfaction in what is accomplished. That is why I am an Electronic Tech. It is great to be paid to do what you would do for free! However now I am not being paid. They owe me close to 2 months back pay

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What happened to the 6M conversion???

9. WA6MHZ

That goes in the "GET AROUND TO IT AGAIN SOMEDAY" shelf, but not any time soon. I gotta LOTTA Bucks in that!!! Probably around $600!!! It is close to working but not quite. just can't get over the last hump.
    So for now, it is in the Museum of MONUMENTS to FUTILITY (wasted time)

AF6LJ likes this.
  10. WA6MHZ

I tested the UGK4 with the USB and WINLINK EXPRESS, and it seems to work. though inside work here I have no decent 2m antenna and no radio to listen to the tones to see if they sound right. I will hafta bring in my Kenwood THD74. The test IC-2AT battery finally died and I can't recharge it.