ad: QuirkyQRP-1

The SharkRF OpenSPOT "New review"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your statement OB was rather CRASS in that you seem to think that EVERYBODY KNOWS HOW TO GET AROUND THIS STUFF, I READ & LISTEN SO I CAN "LEARN"!!!

AB4D, N9FM and VA2PV like this.
  2. WQ8M

WQ8M Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Very nice.

VA2PV likes this.
  3. HH2MJF

HH2MJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Pascal VA2PV,
    good job and thanks for taking time to produce these videos in two (2) languages.

VA2PV likes this.
  4. KD9AZB

KD9AZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great article and video.

VA2PV likes this.
  5. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. I only watch videos if I know there is information that I seek in them.

As for this is really neat stuff, and its never to late to learn more. The MMDVM project by Jonathan Naylor G4KLX is where the basis of the OpenSpot came from. If you truly want to learn, look into that project. You can roll your own. And you can connect it to real radios to build a high power hotspot or repeater that can be useful to more than one person.

The Openspot is neat to me, but it's an appliance.

6. K7LTF

K7LTF Ham Member QRZ Page

You would use this as a personal hotspot - if you had a dstar, DMR, or Yaesu system fusion radio, in the event that there is no local repeater in your area. Or if you want to have more control of where you go and when, on the different reflectors without hogging a repeater system.

73 K7LTF Zach

VA2PV and W1PPP like this.
  7. W1PPP

W1PPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Zach, that helps me understand these better.

8. W1DGL

W1DGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pascal, I know you said it'll do DMR, C4FM and D-STAR, but is that an 'either/or', or will it do all 3 modes at the same time? In other words, can it be set up to do both DMR and D-STAR? I have both a D-STAR radio (Icom IC-92AD) and a separate DMR radio (Radioddity GD-77), but unfortunately for me, the closest repeater(s) for them are too far away for me to access them without hooking it to my base antenna from my QTH. I'd like to be able to use either mode from home. Also, what would be the approximate range on the hotspot?

9. K0MGL

K0MGL Ham Member QRZ Page

W1DGL: The openSPOT does one mode at a time, but you can switch modes with a command from the radio (by switching profiles) AND it will do cross-band between a DMR radio and the Fusion network or a Fusion radio and the DMR network AND. The DSTAR mode is limited to DSATR radio to DSTAR network. To cross-connect to other modes with DSTAR would require a AMBE vocoder chip in the openSPOT and the openSPOT folks have decided not to go that route.

If I wanted to be able to work multiple modes at the same time, I'd just get another hotspot. If I am happy to switch between modes, then the openSPOT will work nicely.

I have worked my openSPOT which uses the stock antenna on the top of the file cabinet in the house from at least 100 yds away in the pasture by my house. You can mount the whole gizmo on a mast outside in a box, run power and Ethernet to it and use a SMA antenna out through the box and get much more coverage. I am continually amazed at what 20 mW will do.

VA2PV likes this.
  10. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

While I like being able to control so much of a received signal by way of computer electronics and software, many will flock to this receiver solution because their giga-hurts... {;->

11. KB2UEW

KB2UEW Ham Member QRZ Page

nice video Pasccuale thanks 73 good luck

VA2PV likes this.
  12. K1ABX

K1ABX Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a hard time understanding the need for the OpenSPOT, other than ability to test one's digital radios when no
    other repeaters / HAMs are within reach. Considering most of its functionality is delivered by connecting to Internet-based
    systems, the same can be done in software say as a mobile app. I'll keep monitoring the thread though, in case some
    good points are made :)

13. N7BRJ

N7BRJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Every use case is different, of course. For me, when at home, I do not have access to any DStar RPTR. So, it is either my OpenSPOT, or nothing...along with not having to depend on a computer. During the recent hurricane activity, and being an East Coast resident, I carried my HT with me around my property and was able to keep tabs via various prep and info sites. Is it completely necessary? Nope. Is it a nice addition? Yup.

K1ABX likes this.
  14. K1ABX

K1ABX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, that's pretty much what I outlined. You could have had wifi coverage on your property, and used your smartphone as a way to get into your favorite repeater. I just get this feeling that reliance on Internet prevents HAMs from developing and deploying independent systems. Even goes back to Packet discussions, where most HAMs are happy with 1970's tech for "emergencies", as they otherwise use Internet day to day.

N7BRJ likes this.
  15. K5TUE

K5TUE Ham Member QRZ Page

So, this video shows how you can use this box to cross-link two handhelds in the same room on differing digital modes.

Does it do anything else?