The Seven Deadly Sins of Gilligans Island

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KW4MW, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member

The theory is quite simple. Each of the seven characters on the island represents each of the seven deadly sins.

Most obvious is the Professor, who fits pride to a T. Any man who can make a radio out of some wire and two coconuts has to be pretty cocky.

For the sin of envy we need look no further than Maryann, who may have worn those skimpy little tops, but could never achieve Ginger’s glamour.

And who could doubt for a moment that Ginger is lust incarnate? Sure, the kids were supposed to think she was acting, but we all know what being deprived episode after episode was doing to her. You know and I know that glazed look wasn’t boredom.

What kind of person takes a trunk full of cash on a three-hour cruise? Mr. Howell obviously represents greed.

We are now left with three characters and three Deadly Sins. We have Gilligan, the Skipper and Mrs. Howell to whom we must match gluttony, sloth and anger. As you can see, there is a Gilligan problem here.

Certainly we can further eliminate Mrs Howell from this equation by connecting her with sloth. She did nothing of use whatever during her many years on the island, and everybody knows it.

This leaves anger and gluttony, either of which the Skipper had no shortage. He was, after all, a big guy with the tendency to hit Gilligan with his hat at least once an episode. After much consideration, I have decided that he can easily do double-duty, covering the two remaining Deadly Sins.

So here we have the Seven Deadly Sins trapped in an endlessly recurring Hell of hope followed by denial and despair, forced to live with each other in our TVs until the last re-run ends.

And who is their captor?
    What keeps them trapped there?

Gilligan. Gilligan is Satan! Think about it.

2. KA3JLW

KA3JLW Ham Member

Few know this, but it was thanks to Gilligan's Island that the world has the drink mix Tang, variable speed windshield washers and the constellation Orion.

3. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber

4. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

Two KCØW observations regarding Gilligan's Island:

1. It was a "three hour cruise", right? Lets say they were motoring along at a leisurely 10 knots in the Minnow when disaster struck. The MAXIMUM (and I mean maximum) distance the island could have been away from civilization without too much drift would have been 30 miles plus/minus. 'Splain to me how you can get shipwrecked a lowly 30 miles away from a major port & still be shipwrecked year after year?

2. In one of the shows opening scenes the camera shows the beach. This is shot on the water from the middle of the lagoon. Where are all of those outgoing ripples on the water coming from? Perhaps the camera boat? No, couldn't be. :)

The constantly arising situations in both Gilligan's Island & Star Trek were, ummmmmmmm, far fetched. Perhaps that's why those shows are still popular to this day..............Wonder if olde Sherwood Schwartz & Gene Roddenberry ever got together off camera to "sample the wares" of the leafy green stuff.

Tom KCØW

5. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member

They were much farther from port than 30 miles. How? The wicked storm of course :D

6. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member

Well, I have to admit to loving GI as a boy. My favorite was the time they got a radio receiver working and heard that a Gemini flight was going to be coming over, so they used logs to spell SOS, which the ignited with Mr. H's booze. Gilligan of course, moved the logs whilst on fire and the two astronauts saw SOL, a south seas greeting. Rats. Foiled again!

Frankly, whilst we tend to think of that era as the golden age of TV, there were some real stinkers from the viewpoint of today. For every Mayberry RFD or Beverly Hillbillys, there were dozens of forgotten shows.

Some shows were terrific but have aged horribly: I got a DVD of "Laugh-In" a couple of years back and was shocked: I remember laughing so hard my sides would hurt when we watched it. But it was just almost stupid to see it so many years later - the jokes, almost everything was just to dated to be any good. It was sort of sad actually.

I miss Johnny Carson.

7. KD7SIZ

KD7SIZ Ham Member

I have all these seven sins plus possibly a few new ones due to our modern age. Since this thread is on the subject, please tell me how I may stop being such a great sinner.

8. KD7SIZ

KD7SIZ Ham Member

Maybe Gilligans Island was a floating island that moved everywhere according to the different ocean currents and the changing wind directions.

9. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member

I'm still trying to figure out Petticoat Junction where all the girls had the same initials, bathed in the drinking water tower and had a strange uncle! :D

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber

It's probably a good thing Gilligans Island was in the 1960s.

If it was today, there'd be some changes.

- The Professor would have to build an iPhone out of coconuts, so he could tweet their GPS coordinates. That's a little trickier than building a radio out of coconuts.

- Mary Ann and Ginger would be lesbians and married. Not that it would matter since everyone seemed to be celibate on The Island, anyway.

- The Skipper would sit around all day beating on bongo drums and then take a dump in the Howell's hut, because they represent the evil 1% (although on The Island, it'd be more like the 28.6%) and he's one of the 99% (71.43%). March around protesting carrying a sign that says "Occupy Minnow! I Am The 71.43 percent!".

- It would only last one episode, because Gilligan would take out his AK47 that he snuck on board and kill everyone because he was being bullied.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  11. AC4UT

AC4UT Ham Member

Let's also realize that they would not all be caucausian today. They should have killed Gilligan on the first day.

12. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member

The real question remains, though: Would Gilligan's Island have qualified for DXCC status as a separate entity?

13. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

Sounds like a Disney production. All that is missing is some tween singing something annoying every 30 seconds.

14. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

Somehow I never noticed the water ripples------

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

15. W7JZE

W7JZE QRZ Lifetime Member #84

Gilligan's Island?

One picture says it all:

Gilligans Island-Mary-Ann Dawn Wells Maryann.jpg

Ahhh... be still my heart :)

I had the most amazing crush on Maryann a-way-back-then.

I had the deadly sin of lust for Maryann. You can have Ginger. I'll keep Maryann.

16. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber

Nope. By today's pop standards, guns kill people, not Little Buddies.

17. KA3JLW

KA3JLW Ham Member

That's right. "The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed." Tossed is a nautical term meaning "diverted thousands of miles away and removing any chance of rescue."

18. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member

W7JZE nailed it.

The problem with KW4MW's theory is the classic Ginger/Mary Ann question. Ginger is indeed attractive, but for many of us - possibly a majority - Mary Ann would be first choice. Not to take anything away from Ginger.

This dynamic was repeated in "WKRP", with characters Jennifer Marlowe and Bailey Quarters.

For me: Mary Ann and Bailey. No question.

---

Say, maybe the same theory could be applied to "WKRP"...

Mr. Carlson
    Andy Travis
    Johnny Fever
    Venus Flytrap aka Gordon Sims
    Bailey Quarters
    Jennifer Marlowe
    Herb Tarlek
    Les Nesman

and

Mother Carlson

One too many characters..

73 de Jim, N2EY

19. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member

Did you see the Family Guy multiverse episode where Stewie and Brian wind up in a parallel universe drawn by Disney?

73 de Jim, N2EY

20. N4IAG

N4IAG Ham Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.