ad: k1jek

The Russian Teardrop monument is real and beautiful

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W1GUH, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member

I went over to see the Russian Teardrop monument to those who lost their lives on 9/11 and to the fight against terrorism.

There's a lot of hits if you google "Russian Teardrop", but I can't find the site that I found last night that had directions and a lot of info. But it's real, and well, well worth a trip. It's very easy to get to off the NJTP, and needs to be seen more.

A LOT of the hits you get when you google it ask the question, "Why don't more people know about this?" Nobody seems to know the answer to that question. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

What is it? It's a memorial that Russia gave to us as a beautiful gesture of sympathy and empathy for us after the awful events of 9/11, and it memorializes the people who lost their lives on that day -- it's got all their names inscribed on the base -- and the worldwide struggle against terrorism.

To answer the question, "Why hasn't this gotten more publicity", appears to involve politics that I don't want to get into here...except to say that Putin was here for the groundbreaking and the dedication. I believe that was in '06. The keynote speaker at the dedication was President William Jefferson Clinton. You can read all about it on the web.

And if you're anywhere near Bayonne, it's well, well, WELL worth the trip. And it lends itself very well to a combination visit to it, Liberty State Park, Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty. That makes a wonderful day!

2. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member

Found the link. Here it is.

No wonder I couldn't find it right away. This is what I had to do to get it. I went to where I knew the monument was using Google Earth, and zoomed way, way in. Then I saw tiny photo icons (much smaller than normal photo icons), and one tiny Wiki icon. The link is at the bottom of the Wiki article.

You have to zoom in much farther to see the icons than other icons and you have to know exactly where it is to find the icons. A casual look at Bayonne, NJ will not turn up anything. Nor does a Google search turn up the site at http://www.911monument.com//

How many time can one person say WTF?????? in one day?

3. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member

Never heard of it until now. Very cool.

4. WB8MKV

WB8MKV Ham Member

Yep, our liberal newspapers in Michigan would never think of printing this...too bad

5. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member

Nor any other paper regardless of leanings, as far as I've been able to determine.

6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

We need to take this to the system.

7. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member

You betcha!

8. K3RKS

K3RKS Ham Member

Teardrop

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I never heard of it. More should be published, What a nice monument.

9. KI4ITV

KI4ITV Ham Member

Am I the only one who see's an eerie design similarity to "The Gadget" at Trinity Base? :eek:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

I wonder what impact each of us writing to our local newspapers would have on propagating the story?

We ARE the 'international goodwill' folks aren't we?

Yes, we are! And we can take this to the system!!

11. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member

Along those lines....

I had the mobile rig with me and I thought it'd be nice to get on the air from there to raise awareness. There wasn't much activity, but I did manage to check into Midcars with a relay, and reported my QTH as "NJ, at the Russian Teardrop 9/11 memorial"....but that was it...

Tried a few regular CQ's, but no answer, and since I had a friend who is bored to tears with my "darn radios", couldn't hang around to try to drum up some contacts. But I had the idea of a special event station, but with grave reservations. I really don't know if such a thing would be appropriate or advisable, so I'm putting the question out here. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm personally in a dilemma about it.

BTW, here's the Google Earth coordinates:

40°39'49.27"N Latitude
    74° 4'11.00"W Longitude

Zoom way in to find the icons, and if you turn on 3D buildings in the layers panel, you'll see a photo-reallistic 3D view of it.

[edit] As the photos show, the area has been landscaped since the Google Earth pix were taken.

12. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member

A Google Image search turned up this:

Tearsofgriefbayonne.jpg

[​IMG]

13. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member

I've never read about this monument and it marks the change in the attitudes between countries which have wasted many billions of dollars and roubles on what were worthless weapons. Peace in our time, but not from terrorists.

G0GQK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.