The reported death of Amateur Radio due to FT8 is an exaggeration

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jan 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

He uses 'Half-Sarcasm' mode?
    Wait till he tries Full-Duplex Sardonic.
    It could really run the hobby into the ground; ... oh man ...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure it was not intentional, but the quote, as edited, is misleading. The sentence you quoted comes after the 'Half-sarcasm mode OFF', but who is watching?

When done on purpose, this kind of manipulation does have the power to run the hobby into the ground.

3. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The solution is isochronous.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...at least this has SWITCHED from 'amateur radio news' to PODCAST.

FB. That's where ALL of Onno's PODCASTS belong---as 'PODCASTS'.

None of them are NEWS.

KK4HPY likes this.
  5. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't worry too much about losing HF spectrum. In the bigger picture, Amateurs have but a tiny slice of the spectrum pie - 500khz at 75m, (5) small channels at 60m, 300khz at 40m, etc. so maybe some commercial customers might be interested but even so I can't imagine why because nowadays there are so many better ways to blast your messages to the masses if that is the goal.

I'm more worried about losing spectrum at VHF, UHF & microwaves where its really worth it for them because of emerging technologies etc.

KK5JY and KR3DX like this.
  6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still make an occasional FT8 mode QSO on the fringes of the bedlam waterfall. But I've also been making more QSO's again on JT65A and JT9. There are still QSO's to be made on 20 meters at day and 40 meters at night.

I've also been making allot of QSO's on OLIVIA again on 20 and 40 meters. It's a nice rag chew mode.

N4NYK, KX1MAD and K8XG like this.
  7. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The pressure on HF is greater than many think (witness what I will be the first to admit was a disappointing outcome on 60 meters at WRC-15--those "unused" fixed and mobile segments have a lot of incumbents who see great value in their limited use).

FT8 is a great new tool in the arsenal to defend our allocations, including those at HF (it shows that we can still do some cutting edge stuff), but it's only one of several tools necessary. It is critical to have a variety of ways to utilize amateur radio to effectively build the case.

The need to make this case is among many reasons why it's vital to have an ARRL, no matter how much ARRL may or may not ¶!$$ you off at any given time.

KK4HPY, K2SDS, K7LZR and 4 others like this.
  8. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worry quite a bit about both.

K7LZR, KR3DX and W1YW like this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree. Any spectrum is valuable. A loss is a loss, whether an individual ham uses it or not. Once lost, it's not likely to return.

Frequencies that are considered 'useless' today, may be very useful tomorrow.

Commercial interest will always jump at an opportunity. Hams are best placed to explore the 'unknown', even at the cost of being 'elbowed out' after the 'discovery', but if we are 'there', we may keep some of it, if not, it's all gone.

Look at the so called "Dreamer's Band". There is a small group of hams, mostly in Europe, experimenting with transmissions on 2, 5, and 9 kHz.

Nothing wrong with exchanging medical history on 80M SSB, but experimentation is what started the 'service', and will keep it going.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    K7LZR likes this.
  10. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-8?...…….…….Yep I worked him.

MM0XXW likes this.