The Raspberry Pi Lunchbox...with LOTS of Battery Life.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KK4NSF, May 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

During one of our discussions, I mentioned my Pi Lunchbox Computer and somebody asked me to post a picture / details of it. AND of course I promptly forgot to post them. Anyway... here are a few pics and details.

lunchbox1.jpg lunchbox2.jpg

It's a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Pi Foundation 7" Touchscreen. The case is just a simple box, made out of hobby-grade 1/8" plywood and a few reinforcing sticks, held together with super-glue and a few brads. Inside there is a USB Wifi Adapter, two 6600 mAh LiIon batteries, a Power-Boost 1000 charger (2.5 amp output)... and assorted cables and stuff. It was quite easy to build. In fact the thing that took the longest time was waiting for the paint to dry.

I was happy with how it turned out. Those big batteries, combined with the low power requirements of the Pi gives me virtually all-day run-time.... and if the batteries are low, I can still operate and charge at the same time.

Anyway... there it is: the Pi Lunchbox.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's nice. How much does a 7" Touchscreen cost?

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

it's like $80 at Adafruit. It's not cheap, but it's worth the money since it's so easy to incorporate into a system.....