ad: ProAudio-1

The QRZ 25th Anniversary Trivia Sweepstakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Sep 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the number of answers that are just flat out wrong...I see no reason why I should have any confidence in the sweepstakes.

Someone needs to verify the questions and answers before putting them live. All this does is make QRZ look completely inept.

WQ4G and NG9F like this.
  2. AJ5TT

AJ5TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Busted out laughing at some of the incorect answers. I answered correctly but shows I answered wrong - LOL

Question: PSK31 is...

Your Answer: A modern digital mode.

Correct Answer: A rare Asian DX station.
    (Phase Shift Keying 31 baud. PSK31 is a digital mode that requires only a computer, a sound card, your rig, cabling to move audio between your rig and computer, and FREE software. It is narrow (31.5 HERTZ!) and requires very little signal strength for a solid copy.)

-------------------------------------

Question: In what year was the first SOS signal transmitted? Â

Your Answer: 1912

Correct Answer: 1915
    (On April 15, 1912. TITANIC struck an iceberg and sank. Thanks to wireless, and the first SOS in history, 713 lives were saved. Before SOS, there was also CQD (CQ Distress). Â )

and in reality, the Titanic was not the first and the true answser was not an option.

But, thanks for putting up the sweepstakes anyway

NG9F, K9ASE and K2NCC like this.
  3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

We will hope this is not like the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes!!:D
    On TV their ad says no purchase required to enter so one time went to where they said to enter and I was not allowed to enter without buying something. Is that legal?

At least, if I understand correctly, your score has nothing to do with getting your call into the drawing. I will probably take some quizzes but there is a better chance for it to snow in Kansas on July 4th then me winning anything.

John, WB0MPB

AD5HR likes this.
  4. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

You are correct your score has nothing to do with the odds.

WB0MPB likes this.
  5. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wrong answer

6. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AND Or N2EY who is very thorough

W5BIB and WB0MPB like this.
  7. KG0BK

KG0BK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone answered correctly on the 1st question - What is PSK-31? ( I swear their "correct answer" is wrong.) But this is still fun!

8. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From NY Times, Feb 1910:
    "An article published in the New York Times in February 1910, more than two years prior to the Titanic disaster, detailed the origins and uses of SOS as a distress call, and in the pages of that newspaper one can find several examples of ships’ employing the SOS call that antedate the 14 April 1912 sinking of the Titanic:

On 11 August 1909, the steamship Arapahoe, plying a route between New York and Jacksonville, Florida (by way of Charleston), broke a shaft and began drifting off the North Carolina coast. Help was summoned via an SOS call:"
    "The first news that the vessel had met with an accident came to the United Wireless station at Hatteras when P. B. Haubner, the wireless operator on board, began sending out “S.O.S.,” the United Wireless Company’s signal of distress. The shore station soon got into communication with the disabled vessel, and in response came a message stating that the Arapahoe had broken her tail shaft.

The United Wireless Company explained last night that “S.O.S.” was really the signal for help, and that it was the one adopted by the International Wireless Congress held in Berlin in 1906. The company disowned the now famous sea call “C.Q.D.”
    It is possible that there were other uses that were not widely known; however, the QRZ quiz is waaaay off.

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just waiting for the rest of you to complain about all the wrong answers, so that when I take the quiz later, I know how to answer properly. :D

10. W8RMV

W8RMV Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope this was an April fools joke, very early. So many wrongs "answers". Come on QRZ!!! Fix this.

WQ4G likes this.
  11. N7RGE

N7RGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't post frequently here, but congratulations on the anniversary and many thanks for providing this site, i find it a most helpful starting point when I am researching something related to improving my station and ham experience.

12. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Two questions please,
    So are you saying that you can just click on any answer and it wont matter?

Will you still be able to get to the end and be entered in the sweepstakes with the wrong answers?

Thank you, :)
    73, Lisa

13. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lisa,... I found this query & reply.

From John/WB0MPB:
    "At least, if I understand correctly, your score has nothing to do with getting your call into the drawing. I will probably take some quizzes but there is a better chance for it to snow in Kansas on July 4th then me winning anything."

From Stephen/VA7STV
    "John, WB0MPB You are correct your score has nothing to do with the odds."

VA7STV,
    QRZ Engineering Manager

Sooo, I'm guessing that you can answer the questions with any response, maximum ONE time per-day, & be eligible.

I just wonder if the Odds are the same if you only enter once:confused:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  14. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steve,
    Yes I saw Johns post and the reply, but my question for VA7STV was this,

Will you still be able to get to the end, with all the wrong answers? Or will it not end until you get a certain number of the answers correct. I guess I could go and test it, but just thought I would ask.

Once entered in the sweepstakes I understand the winner will be selected at random.

15. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just took the first quiz that came up when I clicked the link Fred said to click to go to the quiz page.

"You scored 30%, this is better than 642 out of 1328 other QRZ users who participated in this quiz.

This quiz did not result in a sweepstakes entry because it was completed after the original quiz date."

So it is like PCH.
    Thanks so much QRZ for telling me what to do to get to the quiz page and I took the quiz that came up and then it told me it didn't count.
    What a scam!! I really thought QRZ would be on the up and up on this give away!! I will think twice about subscribing when it is time. Thanks Fred for posting a link to take the quiz that ended up to be no good.:rolleyes:
    John, WB0MPB