ad: Amateur-1

the Process of BUILDING an Amateur Radio CAR!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Jun 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Another upgrade coming! But gotta wait till the SLOW BOAT FROM CHINA delivers it!
    This time we will improve the delay timer and allow for ENGINE OFF operating (timed so it won't run down the battery)
    Stay tuned!

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Just when you thought this thread was long dead and buried, here it is again!
    That is because I just made a new MOD to it.

One problem not dealt with was the issue of being able to operate the radios when parked and engine off.
    HMMMMMM
    I have the technology to do this!!!
    With a little help from CHINA!

China sells a nice little timer module for about $10 including shipping. It is very versatile and programmable
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/332053617800?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    we already have the delay timer module installed which senses the ignition and turns on the radio system after a 5 second delay.
    IMG_6945a.jpg
    This module will have the timer module mounted on top of it.
    I can watch the digital readout from the driver seat as it counts up in seconds.
    I set for 7 minutes or 420 seconds
    Here is the schematic of changes
    IMG_7305a.jpg
    Pressing the button enables the timer and it runs for 7 minutes and then shuts off.
    Should I need to do more radio operation, I just press the button again.
    I had to drill a few holes in the case to mod it.
    IMG_7304a.jpg
    tested out, the LED display shuts off after a few minutes saving power. So there is virtually no battery drain untill the system is enabled. Then I can choose which radios to operate.
    I need to install a remote switch to turn on and off the APRS Tracker. That draws alot of power and isn't needed when the car is parked. OH one more mod needed now!

On Feb 5th I am putting on the program for the San Diego QCWA on the building of this Car! I need to edit the powerpoint now to incorporate these new changes!!!

N0AKF likes this.
  3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very Cool....
    That should work out just fine.

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

GOnna buy stock in Brother....

Ed

WZ7U likes this.
  5. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Pat, enjoyed your new YouTube video today, by alive in San Diego. It showed up on my recommended list.

WZ7U and AF6LJ like this.
  6. KD2AKG

KD2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty cool video! Still hoping Pat's collection will actually be a museum some day.

WZ7U likes this.