the Process of BUILDING an Amateur Radio CAR!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Jun 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Does shutting it off and then restarting clear the issue? Does an "idiot" light illuminate? Maybe disconnect your added stuff at the battery for a few days to see if it comes back up?

Steve
    KV6O

WN6U likes this.
  2. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno about Phords, but the Bosch alternators on European cars can get intermittent like that when the brushes get worn down to nubs. On the Bosch alternators, the brushes are easy to change, in fact it can be done with the alternator still in place if there is enough room in the engine compartment to reach it. Again, I dunno about Phord alternators. Those might have to be sent to Elbonia for rebuilding.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Several restarts did NOT clear the no alternator charge. what cleared it last time was putting a charger on the battery overnight

4. WA6MHZ

The good news is that I fixed the APRS Display problem by installing a 10K pot. Now I can adjust it for best readout. IMG_7023a.jpg

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Disconnect all your stuff and drive around for a week to see it comes back. But again, did the car indicate that there was a problem? Charging systems today can go that low to save fuel if the electrical load is light.

Did you follow Fords instructions on adding radios to a Ford? They DO have service bulletins on this sort of thing. There's a hall effect sensor that monitors the load and the computer can alter the voltage to compensate. 12.9 is within the range of what a modern charging system will adjust to.

Many have told you this but you refuse to listen. TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL and have the wiring done properly by someone who understands how to wire a modern car.

Some ford specific info:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2012/modGuide.html

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q130.pdf <-- gets into some of the issues adding electrical loads and radios to non police package equipped vehicles.

Steve
    KV6O

NL7W, WN6U, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, before you do some REAL damage to something. Please.

N2EY likes this.
  7. AC8UN

AC8UN Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys need to give up, knowledgeable people have been trying to tell him this for 3 months. He's too stubborn to listen.

KD8HLY and N2EY like this.
  8. WA6MHZ

I dont know WTF is going on. This morning it got better, but was bad all yesterday afternoon.
    Nothing to do with radio. NO way I can damage the system. But I did notice they put the trailer wiring to the fuse box. So maybe I will hook it to there if the fuse is big enough. And put the ground on the chassis instead of battery negative terminal.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

What is "IT"? o_O C'mon man. Did you even read the factory TSB's?

Does the Nun know she is riding around in a rig full of maybes and half asses? :eek:

I'm not trying to bust your balls Pat for no good reason here. I lost patience with the whole power wire through the door opening thing and this latest round sounds like stubborn over reason talking there.
    Just sayin man. No malice intended. :oops: Maybe AC8UN is right, but I would like to think otherwise. I gotta wonder if you'll even make it to Hawaii

N2EY likes this.
  10. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

this thread is epic and to suggest that we be deprived of the inevitable hilarity of a series of pictures of a burned out Ford Flex is cruel.

AC8UN and N2EY like this.