ad: MyersEng-1

The overthrow of the 15 dB rule

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8MQW, Apr 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB2RMC

KB2RMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen!! I've been a tech since 1994. HF used to be the carrot that the FCC dangled in front of us to get us to upgrade. I have ZERO desire to be on HF anymore. Almost every HF band is home to some of the most socially retarded operators on the planet. And NONE of them are afraid to use their call signs after going off on profane and racist tirades, of which, if quoted here, would get me kicked off QRZ Forums :) And they are certainly delivered by hams with Extra licenses running QRO. Most of them are "4" or "5" calls, but we have a share here in the NE.

The tirades invariably start with "No Coders" who didn't have to earn their licenses. Then another station will make a genital joke. Then first guy comes back in with mentions of monkeys, Kenya, certain religions, implied incest, body functions, and more genital stuff. HF is worse than CB. At least on CB one can get a smokey check or know when a road is closed.

The FCC can keep the HF. I enjoy VHF and UHF.

Best To All,

Tim
    KB2RMC

KC9UDX likes this.
  2. N5KD

N5KD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, those SPE expert amps are dirt cheap. CBers will be buying them by the thousand.

KU0O likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he built it to show QRO portsbility, not for ham radio...my speculation.

A wideband version , one may speculate, is used for jamming IEDs....which msy or may not have a wide range of bands.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lessee.. QRP here...

K2, KX3, Ft450 set down power, IndexLabs QRP+, KD1JV Survivor....

If you fo SOTA, its usually QRP, or close to it.

Unfortunately few stations hear when SOTA. One of the few worked ftom Mt Washington was NU5DE.

Look them up :)

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Makes Dayton that much more appealing.

6. KJ4ZWA

KJ4ZWA Ham Member QRZ Page

As a young ham, I would just like to say that one of the biggest drawbacks to HF phone is foul language. Even though someone passed his Extra and a CW test does not exempt them from following the FCC rule of no indecent language.

K3RW likes this.
  7. KX5JT

KX5JT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, but the problem is the way the FCC has defined language does not jive with the Supreme Court who has overruled and deemed very specific language only is not allowed and almost has to be sexual in nature. Profanity is actually given a pass.

None of this is relevant to this thread however.... it should and is being discussed on other threads. Again, let's stick to the topic here.

http://www.w5yi.org/ama_news_article.php?id=483

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    KU0O likes this.
  8. VE3OY

VE3OY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well GEEZ!

I'm not about to try and force my opinion(s) on anyone else ... HAM operator or otherwise .... however ...

It seems to me (one who loves to experiment and create amplifiers) that the answer to this problem has already been found and is now overlooked!! You want an AMP that is capable of 1.5 kilowatts? Sure, okay! Most HAM's do. You want to be able to create this legal level output with 10 watts or under? NO PROBLEM! Our Amateur Radio history speaks volumes, and yet we fail to remember!

Enter the 4CX250 / 4CX350 metal tube. Many an AMP has been made using many of these tubes ganged together to create the needed legal limit power we so crave. I personally have two of these that I use. This is a NO BRAINER folks!
    4 watts drive into one tube gets you several hundred out. The tubes are cheap, compared to 4CX1000's or 3CX1500's!
    They are also stingy on electricity, which continues to get more and more expensive.

There should be no need to change rules intended to protect the majority against abusers.
    Sorry to the Expert Amplifier Company if the 15db rule hurts your market share.

... and for those complaining about recent band conditions, noise floor, etc ... I have worked over 30 countries in the last month ALL on 100 watts. No, I don't always power up my QRO amp. It's there when needed, but I don't always NEED it.

Just my two cents ... take it or leave it.

73 de Matt

K3RW likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, clothes on (compared to referenced Nu5DE)...but by Sat afternoon, someone should run a deodorant concession!

KC9UDX likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This QRP'er jes' LOVES QRO!

11. KC9UDX

At the State Fair here, they have these mist things you can walk under to cool off.

I assume they have them other places.

All Hara needs is one with perfumed mist.

12. N5XO

N5XO Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading this thread leads me to despair for Amateur Radio. Ignorance has reached a new level here, with people going in so many directions that are totally unrelated to what Expert Amps has requested. They just requested a simple ability to build clean amps that can be driven at low power and for the FCC to remove an archaic rule that by everyone's comments here clearly never worked and has no balance.

For some reason everyone conversation on QRZ seems to degrade into a CW or Non-CW license and CB and HAM or newbie verses old timer battle. Pretty damn pathetic, we are all HAMs with a common bond to a common hobby.

In simple terms this is not about increasing power on amps, it is not about CB, it is not about CW and NO CW, it is simply a request to remove an old rule that offers NO value and allow amp manufacture to build quality, low distortion amps. END of STORY.

W6GRD, KJ4ZWA, KJ4NOO and 6 others like this.
  13. KC9UDX

But think of all the hams with permanent back injuries from trudging up that snowy hill to the FCC office, and how hard it was for them to learn that rule!

W9AFB likes this.
  14. K4YZ

K4YZ Guest

Not only do I NOT support the proposal to change the 15db limit, I WOULD support a US regulation that caps US Amateurs at 500 watts with some exceptions, an then only by variation to the holder's license.

The Amateur community proved generations ago that we are capable of sustainable, reliable communications with far less power than we are currently authorized. The current allowance of 1500W has simply added to congestion, raised the noise floor, and necessitates bandwidths far in excess of those of far less powerful signals.

As one reads through the comments of this thread alone one finds that most of the "arguments" are simply ones of convenience, and have no valid technical substantiation.

Lastly, the debacle at 11 meters ought to be argument enough as to what happens when the finger is removed from the dyke.

The ONLY two arguments here are convenience and ego, neither of which substantiate the change.

The bands are in bad enough condition. Pouring more coal on the fire won't help.

Steven J Robseson, K4YZ
    Winchester, TN

W1REN likes this.
  15. KC9UDX

The bands would be so much cleaner and the noise floor so low then if only we'd just limit everyone to 5W. :rolleyes: