The OFFICIAL QRZed 2011 W6D thread and Travelogue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

2012 SOTA. Sliders On The Air.

2. W5WPL

W5WPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Time to put this on the Poll forum
    I vote SOTA
    WAWC Worked All White Castles

3. KB9OFM

KB9OFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Pat,how about calling Oscar Mayer,drive there winner automobile.
    Free hotdogs and they pay for the gas?

good day dennis

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, NASCAR w/o dents and much faster = NHRA. :D

There. I fixed it for ya! ;)

5. KB9OFM

KB9OFM Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL

good day dennis

6. KD0BSY

KD0BSY Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that's funny, gotta clean my screen ..........again!:D

George

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you should get QRZ to Spencer the trip.

8. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, I had been thinking exactly this same thing.

9. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the infamous 'Frank' could be his copilot.

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Today, the boss was out of the office, so WHAT BETTER TIME than to work on the Hallicrafters SR-150?

I tore apart the Power Supply and inspected everything. Think I will order some new Electrolytics for it as well as the Swan supply. New caps sure can't hurt, though I don't hear any hum. There IS hum in the Swan, so it has new caps on the schedule to be ordered. Pricey though! I will be paying almost $6 each for 10 caps! (some for the Swan, some for the Hallicrafters).

All the voltages looked fine, so I plugged the radio in and worked somemore on it. Once again, it turns out that DIRTY SWITCH contacts are the ONLY reason it didn't work. Now, I get a good tone out of the speaker for a sig in. I didn't measure the sensitivity, as the boss might come in at ANY SECOND, and he would just have KITTENS to find THIS radio on my workdesk instead of a Company radio!!!!

Next I worked on the transmitter, and it seems some MOUSE had played around with the coils in it. The coils were all readjusted and NOW I have RF Output, well SOME RF OUtput.

The radio is rated for 125W CW, 150W PEP SSB, but I only see about 25W out on CW, and can whistle it a little higher on SSB. So it looks like the 12DQ6B final tubes are a little soft. Will hafta check the Swapmeets and Ebay for those. They don't SOUND very rare, but we will see. It COULD be a soft driver, but I am betting it is the finals. The Driver is a 12BY7A and I have a bunch of them! So I might drag it out later and change out that tube. Probably won't make a difference though.

The Hallicrafters SR-150 is officially READY for Museum Service!

On edit, I just BUYITNOW'd a pair of 12DQ6Bs for $3 each plus shipping. Maybe those won't be quite as soft.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.