The Official DX "ATNO" thread

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7UUU, Dec 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought I read in a posting somewhere that in time, another monk may be trained to carry on the radio duties that Monk Apollo had. Whether this happens and if so how active remains to be seen. Time will tell..

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The original reason Monk Apollo became a ham, as I recall the story, was to call for medical aid when a fellow monk had a health emergency. They had no phone lines, cell phones, or internet at the monastery at the time and had to "hand carry" the monk to town. So they decided to have someone become a ham to have some sort of communications.

Do they now today have a land line, cell phone, or internet? No idea - but I suspect if they still do not, they will elect a new monk to become licensed.

But my guess is they probably by now have an "emergency cell phone" on hand for such things and that ham radio on Mt. Athos will be a thing of the past

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, I recall the same as to why ham radio is a part of the monastery. I guess for the ham radio community we were fortunate that Monk Apollo was fairly active and worked many of us.

I have no idea if they ever added landline/a cell phone/ or anything else. I agree if they did decide to use such technology that ham radio would probably no longer be a part of Mt. Athos. Time will tell..

4. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

Just worked S9A on 17m FT8.... only took a handful of calls fortunately! That's DXCC #205 for me :)

KP4SX, KJ4VTH and W7UUU like this.
  5. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

5T2KW; 17m and 20m CW via QSL card in today's mail.:D

KM4SII and W7UUU like this.
  6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3D2CR - first ATNO for me since Ducie in October. On the low Inverted L .. 17M FT8

KM4SII likes this.
  7. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

3D2CR; 15m, 17m, 20m, 40m, all CW, confirmed via LoTW:D

KM4SII likes this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

cool. thanks for posting - i didnt realize they were OQRS only. Paid my money for my confirmation!

N5CM likes this.
  9. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

E31A; 30m and 40m CW confirmed via LoTW this morning:D

W7UUU likes this.
  10. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

T2AR on 20m CW -- That DXCC #206 on my end!

K5WY, WF4W and W7UUU like this.