The new TS-890S is reviewed in the June QST

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM1H, May 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood has done it again, this is one of the best designs I have seen yet. All of the good features of an analog front end combined with the low noise and excellent LO rejection of an SDR.

KM1H and NL7W like this.
  2. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do people insist on music in the background of their videos? Especially really obnoxious music?

WG7X, K2XT, KM1H and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I really HATE that as well.... I refuse to watch most such videos for that reason

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X, K2XT, N6HCM and 3 others like this.
  4. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I like old fashioned narration. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but anything beats music.

5. K4EI

K4EI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Confirmation bias is the inevitable elephant in the room when hearing from folks who have bought something expensive. With that qualifier out of the way, I'll just say that the 890 is a joy to operate. My TS-590SG and KX3 were and are fine rigs... but the TS-890S exceeds them in so many ways. It is simply superlative. Exceptional performance, exceptional feature set, exceptional ergonomics, and - perhaps most important - exceptional fun!

NL7W, KM1H and N2EY like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So......how many will actually buy one?

7. KC2XU

KC2XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Already did

N2EY likes this.
  8. KC2XU

KC2XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Smiley face missing
    :)

N2EY likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Could be worse. Could be singing.

---

What really bugs me are people whose "narration" is full of ums, ahs, uhs, by-gollys, y'knows, I means, and similar noises meant to hold the VOX open.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

...and hand-held cameras that move too much and go in and out of focus.

"Marketing" videos are usually limited to 60 or 90 seconds max, as determined by global marketing companies to have the most impact and actually keep people watching them; longer and you lose the audience. Most of these "ham" videos should follow suit, even though they're not intended to be selling anything.

Almost always best to just shoot video without audio, and do a voiceover later that sequences to the video and sounds so much better. Easy to splice in "receiver sounds" when demonstrating a receiver: Record them from the headphone jack directly into the recorder, not using a speaker and microphone. Only takes 5-10 min longer to simply "do it right."

US7IGN, K2XT, NL7W and 1 other person like this.