ad: GNOHF-1

The new TS-890S is reviewed in the June QST

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM1H, May 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And it is a gem....they loved it.

Superb IMD, phase noise, receiver performance, display and more.

It aso covers 630 and 2200M in transmit plus the usual 160-6M coverage.

It is also a decent size for those that dont want a shrunken rig and a cell phone size touch screen.

At $3900 list it sure offers potential customers another choice. No, it doesnt have a second receiver which is an expensive addition for those that dont want it. OTOH it will slave with the TS-590S and 590SG which would be my choice when needed.

I'll get to read the on line in depth review later but from what Ive read KW has a winner.

Carl

KE6GAC, K7EC, K4EI and 3 others like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks really good. Runs on 13.8 volts, too.

3. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just found out it will slave a TS-590S/G, that is awesome! I’ve always been a Kenwood fan but I have a K3S and a TS-590S, so a K4 or an 890S for an upgrade? That will require lots of pondering.

NL7W and KM1H like this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The TX and RX audio can also be set out as far as 4 KHz which will please many SSB and AM ops.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I waited 23 years to replace my TS-450, but finally had to buy an IC-7600 with nothing new in sight. sigh. Congratulations Kenwood!

6. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

To summarize - every few months, one manufacturer seems to come out with the latest and greatest wiz-bang radio

N6HCM and WA7PRC like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Similar to the TS-590SG, Kenwood got this one right. Clean layout with excellent transmitter and receiver specs.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've already worked several guys using the TS-890S on the air.

Never used one yet, though.

"Superb IMD specs" are not so easy to achieve at 13.8V, I wonder what they did? Studying the block diagram may reveal something unusual. If they did pre-distortion like ANAN, kudos to them!

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  10. KC2XU

KC2XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ll add that operating the 890s is fun. The right buttons, minimal menu digging, feels like a ‘real’ radio.
    Very glad I saved up :)

KN4RA, K4EI, NL7W and 2 others like this.