ad: Bigelow-1

The lowest power to work birds

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by IZ8XOV, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

15 years of racing cars, riding motorcycles, and pulling triggers has already ruined my hearing. I just remember the conversation from last year! :p

K6LCS likes this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been remiss lately on satellite operations, but in the past, I was able to access the LEO Sats with little more than 2 H-T's (one for 2M, and one for 70 cm) with nothing more than a (supposed 5 Watts) into an after market (Diamond) whip for the 2M uplink, and a standard easily obtained aftermarket (again, Diamond) "rubber duckie" antenna for the downlink. Granted, a small 70 cm Yagi for the downlink would have been MUCH better on 70 cm, and plans can be found by "Giggling" "Cheap Yagi's." on the I'net. A five element antenna should be more than adequate. For hand-held, semi-permanent or weather exposed materials, marine varnish would probably be a wise investment for the wood portion. On the other hand, a "bicycle" type hand grip works as well.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    WD9EWK likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to work Oscar 13 with 6.5 watts to a calculated 14 dBic 436 MHz Yagi. I made half a dozen confirmed CW contacts through a high earth orbit satellite. As I recall the orbit was close to apogee, which simplified antenna pointing.

Zack W1VT

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

With any of the current FM satellites, I have had no problem with 5W HTs and a directional antenna (Elk log periodic). On higher passes of AO-91 specifically, I have used a long duckie antenna and as little as 100mW (low power from a Yaesu VX-3R) with an MFJ-1717 long duckie antenna. Using the Elk, 100mW from the VX-3R or 500mW from other HTs can get through when stations are operating courteously on AO-91. Some have even used as little as 50mW from a TH-D72 to either a directional antenna or long duckie with this satellite, but I have not been successful with the 50mW level. Maybe I will try that over the weekend on a late-night AO-91 pass, when things aren't as busy as the afternoon passes.

73!