ad: hrd-2

The Law of DXing

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W6OGC, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
  1. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the Law of DXing
    That only the strong shall thrive
    That surely the weak shall perish
    And only the Deserving survive....

Hugh Cassidy, WA6AUD, The West Coast DX Bulletin
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

and that is as it should be
  3. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

The Local QRPer
  4. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a fact no doubt about it if your serious about DX you have to really stick with it.
  5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is why I MISSED the P5/4L4FN & the BS7H. I flaked out. At the time, I only had up a G5RV, and thought there was NO HOPE, so I didn't pay attention. Had I STRAINED and PERSEVERED, I might have them in the log, atleast on CW! But, NO! I thought there was no chance so I didn't even listen. NOW I have to worry that there will not be another in my lifetime!
  6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat, I suggest you hi-tail it up to HRO and buy DX IS! The Best of the West Coast DX Bulletin.

There are a great many lessons, explanations of the Eternal Enigmas, the Mysteries of the Ages and other wisdom of The Old Timer, to help you be Deserving. It's very important to be deserving!

Another bit of doggerel:

I heard Heard, and Heard heard me
    but I much happier will be
    When I'm sure that VK0NZ is real
    And not some turkey.

If nothing else, it gives you something to do to alleviate your spirits on those cold dreary occasions when the bands are dead.
  7. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the rule I go by: work 'em all.
  8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure how to evaluate the "only the deserving survive" part, but it does not seem obviously true to me. Aside from that, these seem not only like the laws of DX but the laws of pretty much everything.
  9. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That only the strong shall thrive -- This does not mean go out and buy a bigger amp!
    That surely the weak shall perish -- Not a reference to QRP
    And only the Deserving survive -- Probably not the butthead that just tuned up his gallon and a half over the top of the pileup.

I work 100 Watts and sometimes have to be tenacious in a pileup, but also have the not so rare experience of throwing my call out into the insanity and have my 100 Watt signal singled out the first try. Courtesy does go a long way in a pileup and power sometimes just pisses off the DX.
  10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I see it as the strong and weak of heart--there are some QRPers who do just fine as Dxers--making great contacts year after year with their modest station. Conversely, some guys with big stations just aren't cut out to be DXers.
  11. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

I find using the Alpha 9500 at full tilt while calling "QRP-mobile" is most effective for busting pile-ups. If you really wanna get down and dirty you use a female voice.
  12. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right! And the guys with big stations are the same ones who insist that you can't really DX without a big station. Meanwhile, the QRPers keep racking up the contacts.
  13. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

i believe the law is much simpler:

work them without causing interference to others trying to work them. be a good citizen type stuff. it's really quite simple.
  14. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

hahaha. this just sounds dirty ;)
  15. NW9R

NW9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Or the DX station that goes by numbers and abruptly stops at 8's....gotta love a well oiled machine...thanks for the waiting...LMAO
  16. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, that was bad - takes a break in the 3's and then forgets about 8, 9, and 0.
  17. N8XE

N8XE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What about the lazy? I am a lazy DXer.. I go where the packet cluster tells me to go. I trust it completely. If I see a rare one spotted, I just send my callsign over and over and over. And after the 5th time the DX answers me and gives me my 5th signal report, I am satisified. I then call again just to make sure. I also use a tube amp. I tune it once and forget it. It seems to work ok on all bands. You get over the smell and the snapping and cracking that comes out of the amp. It is really cool with the lights out.

I only work DX that have online logs.

Most of the time it works... I don't seem to have a lot of ham radio friends tho.. and I keep going though tubes and bandswitches on my amp. Anyone know why?

Back to eating cheetos and watching TV.

Jason N8XE
  18. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

i think N8XE has had a little too much Crown...
  19. N8XE

N8XE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Getting warmed up for Dayton ;)

Jason N8XE
  20. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fixed it for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.